strathglass

Why does SSN tag appear in COUNTRY field?

In my FTM-imported data, I have an individual with a SSN entry (I've renamed the field to SIN for Canada), and other tags like baptism, etc.

When I double click on the SSN (SIN) tag, I see the Place Style (US Standard) fields, and the SSN (SIN) value shows in the Country field.

Ditto for other tags like Religion or Nationality.

In yet other tags (baptism) I see the data split between a couple of Place Style fields (e.g. state and country).

In another case (medical info) I see the data entered into the memo field.

Why is this? Is this right or some artifact of a bad import process. Or do all tags work like this (which seems odd)?

In the SSN case, when I try to enter data in another field (like Postal), then both the Country value and the Postal value show as the tag value (in a comma-separated list).

Does anyone have an explanation of how these tags should work in terms of what field the data should normally reside in and why they currently use the fields of a place style even for data that is not place-type data?

-strathglass

FTM stores two different types of data in the same field (place and comment). After import, you need to clean up each of those tags and move the data to the correct field.

FTM stores two different types of data in the same field (place and comment). After import, you need to clean up each of those tags and move the data to the correct field.

Thanks Jim.

But did you mean MEMO field? I don't see a comment field in the tag entry window.

-strathglass

Upon reflection I may have misinterpreted your original post Jim:

however I am still left wondering: would I move all non-place type values out of PLACE fields into the memo field? Or some other destination.

-strathglass

I am still left wondering: would I move all non-place type values out of PLACE fields into the memo field? Or some other destination.

Many experienced users advise against any non-place data in the Place fields - they would always put it in the Memo. While I generally agree with that, I "cheat" a bit in at least one case - I put the name of the newpaper in the Place Detail field for tags quoting obituaries or other news clips.

It's probably too late for you in this case, but use of the Advanced Import wizard can help get the non-place data into the Memo if the Place/Comment field is used consistently for a particular type of Fact in FTM.