Sign in to follow this  
Bob3

Master Source List

The Master Source List (MSL) offers, for example, Birth registratiion (State Level) and Birth Registration (Local Level) and asks for File Date and File No. In looking at my own birth certificate I see that my state's certificate at the time I was born has State File No. and Date, Local Registrar No. and Date, and another number (possibly Document No.?). Which type of birth registration(s) should I use in such an instance, state, local, both? And which number should I use, state (with state registration), local (with local registration) or the other number? Thanks.

To interpret the Mills-type source types with examples of the applicable data, you really need one of Ms. Mills' books in hand. And I'd advise you to, at least, purchase a copy of Evidence! Citation and Analysis for the Family Historian. Her newer book, Evidence Explained. Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace, is a massive work with a vast number of examples.

Her Birth Registration (State Level) example uses the state number.

1. Philip Daniel Mills, birth certificate [long form] no. 134-85-001195 (1985), North Carolina Division of Health Services-Vital Records Branch, Raleigh.

Her Birth Registration (Local Level) has two examples, one city and one county and each uses the appropriate filing number for that office (the city and county numbers respectively).

All three examples are based on the source from which the document was obtained (the state, county or city offices).

In other words, her examples do what is obvious. You can add any additional data as you wish to the citation detail so nothing prevents you from recording all of the data found on the birth certificate. Just keep in mind that the point of a citation and source is to lead the reader to the material from which the data were obtained. You just need to do what makes sense in order to accomplish that. The Mills examples point you in the right direction.