Judi I

Combined Burial Plots

If a family buys space for multiple burials, how do I connect all those buried together in this space? Witnesses won't work since they are for the living persons. For instance, 6 plots are bought and 6 people are buried in each of these spaces. I would like to be able to connect them easily to find.

Why are witnesses for living people? A witness can be anyone, whether they were present at the event, living or not. But with 6 different plots, I'd use 6 different tags, unless the entire family was buried on the same day in the same plot. Put the cemetery in L2, and you can easily see them from the Master Place Lists>Events button.

I've been know to make a Cemetery a "person" and make it P2 (Principal 2) in the Burial Tag. It is very good at keeping track on lots of family members buried in the same cemetery, but in different plots, or trying to figure out why, when most of a family is buried in one cemetery, is one brother is buried at another (but not in the wifes family plot)

When looking at the Cemetery Person Detail View, you see a nice list, by date, of interments.

I am using a custom tag called "InterredWith" and a sentence for Principal : [P] is buried in this plot<[L]>with<[WO]>. The Principal is the owner of the grave.

For the witnesses sentences : [W] is buried in the same plot<[L]>as [P]<, in addition to [WO]>.

Each person also has his/her own Burial Tag with the date, etc.

The "InterredWith" tag helps me see connections. I sort these tags with a date of 1/1/3000 so they appear at the end of the Person Views. I also select this tag to print on reports when I’m trying to sort things out. (so many ancestors with the same names!)

My tag doesn't list dates of the burials as Barbara's method does. I'm going to try her "cemetery people" as I like the idea of seeing the dates.

Kathleen P