Robert Jacobs

7.01 layout problem

I'm having difficulty with the screen layout in 7.01 on my IBM Thinkpad. I'm running Vista32. When TMG opens it does not retain the saved layout even though the *.lo file seems to be properly written & dated in C:\users\[name]\appdata\roaming\TMG7.

When the program does open the top bar is very slightly off-screen and my report & custom toolbars are below the locations to which I have assigned them. It's as though the toolbars are not retaining their position and have forced the remainder of the layout upwards.

This problem occurs whether "multiple monitors" is checked or unchecked.

Edit added: it definitely seem to relate to the toolbars. If I uncheck the custom and reporting toolbars on /view/ toolbars then TMG 7.01 opens where I left it and with the saved layout.

I shall be most grateful for any assistance.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

Dear Virginia,

I am using the v.7 resizing style and the toolbars are docked (or at least I hope so!). If there is a way of docking them perhaps I'm unaware of it. I want them to butt against the bar just below the standard toolbar and menu.

Many thanks for your help.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

If they are floating, they have a bar at the top with the name of the toolbar - like 'Custom Toolbar'. If they are docked they are tight against the menu with no name bar at the top.

The custom toolbar when it is floated tended to wander a bit in v6, but I haven't noticed it in v7 yet. That was the first thing I thought of when you said the toolbars are moving.

You did resave the layout after you moved the toolbars back to their assigned locations? Did you try unchecking just the custom toolbar? Was this OK in v7 and just started happening in v7.01?

You can see examples of both docked and floating toolbars (including my and Teresa's floating custom toolbars) in the v7 layout thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=37271

Virginia

Virginia,

Haven't tested in 7.01, but in 7.0 it would float slightly up and right if you saved the layout on the next open, but would hold that position from then on. So I would set it slightly lower and not as wide before saving and then when I'd open the next time, it would be where I wanted it and it would stay that way. You would have to play with it to see how much yours moved. I haven't tried saving a new layout in 7.01 since I had some upgrade issues and haven't had the time to even open 7.01 until today. And by open, I mean open. :)

But I haven't seen what we saw in later versions of 6.x in 7.0.

If they are floating, they have a bar at the top with the name of the toolbar - like 'Custom Toolbar'. If they are docked they are tight against the menu with no name bar at the top.

The custom toolbar when it is floated tended to wander a bit in v6, but I haven't noticed it in v7 yet. That was the first thing I thought of when you said the toolbars are moving.

You did resave the layout after you moved the toolbars back to their assigned locations? Did you try unchecking just the custom toolbar? Was this OK in v7 and just started happening in v7.01?

You can see examples of both docked and floating toolbars (including my and Teresa's floating custom toolbars) in the v7 layout thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=37271

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

I have them butting right up against the underside of the standard toolbar. They have no title bar. I've saved the layout in that form half a dozen times and it always reverts. The toolbars are not just "floating" down a bit, they come back are lowered below where they ought to be by more than their own heights. The the very topmost part of TMG (where it gives the program name) is almost all above the reachable area of the screen.

There's no sign at all that the toolbars are "docked." I never had this difficulty with version 7.00 with the identical layout.

The problem occurs with both the reporting and custom toolbars.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

Now that I'm back home from California I've installed 7.01 on my desktop machine which is running Vista 64. The same problem is occurring.

formerprof

WinXP: I can duplicate that in the windowed TMG, not full screen. Is that what you are seeing?

Later: I am not able to make it happen again. I saw exactly what you saw and could not access the top bar to close TMG, had to use Alt-F4. I tried All Toolbars ON and a combination of toolbars and still could not repeat it. If you would like to send me that Layout (.lo file) I'll try it here. Send to Virginia

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

WinXP: I can duplicate that in the windowed TMG, not full screen. Is that what you are seeing?

Later: I am not able to make it happen again. I saw exactly what you saw and could not access the top bar to close TMG, had to use Alt-F4. I tried All Toolbars ON and a combination of toolbars and still could not repeat it. If you would like to send me that Layout (.lo file) I'll try it here. Send to Virginia

Virginia

A very quick and dirty experiment revealed the same problem occurring under XP32. I am indeed using TMG as windowed, not full-screen. I will send you the layout file shortly. Thanks so much for your help!

formerprof

It appears that you have your toolbars set to 'Large Buttons with Text' - and I have the same problem with that setting. Try it with 'Large Buttons' or with 'Small Buttons' and see if the same thing happens.

What is your screen resolution?

Virginia

It appears that you have your toolbars set to 'Large Buttons with Text' - and I have the same problem with that setting. Try it with 'Large Buttons' or with 'Small Buttons' and see if the same thing happens.

What is your screen resolution?

Virginia

I'll try it as soon as I get back to the house. Of course I do want large buttons with text, and I think it ought to work. But I'm glad to learn it's not just me! The screen resolution on the ThinkPad is 1024x768; on my main machine it's 1600x1200 on the large monitor and 1280x??? on the smaller one.

Robert (formerprof)

Robert, the problem is the difference between the screen resolutions. It sounds as if you designed your layout on your main machine with a higher resolution and copied it to the ThinkPad which has a lower resolution. Because of the number of pixels, a layout designed for a higher resolution will not fit on a screen with a lower resolution. You will have to make adjustments to the layout on the ThinkPad - by making some things smaller.

The Standard Layout is designed to work at all resolutions. A custom layout should only be used in the resolution in which it was designed. Which was why I could not get it to fit completely on my screen - which has a lower resolution.

Hope that clears up the problem for you -

Virginia

Robert, the problem is the difference between the screen resolutions. It sounds as if you designed your layout on your main machine with a higher resolution and copied it to the ThinkPad which has a lower resolution. Because of the number of pixels, a layout designed for a higher resolution will not fit on a screen with a lower resolution. You will have to make adjustments to the layout on the ThinkPad - by making some things smaller.

The Standard Layout is designed to work at all resolutions. A custom layout should only be used in the resolution in which it was designed. Which was why I could not get it to fit completely on my screen - which has a lower resolution.

Hope that clears up the problem for you -

Virginia

The layouts were separately designed and saved on each machine individually. "Holmes" is the name of my laptop; "Brandeis" is the desktop machine. The layout I sent you is from the laptop. Each layout should reflect the screen of the machine on which it was designed. The problem occurs on both machines -- and evidently on yours also. I will try starting over from "standard," but I am not optimistic.

Robert

Even when I start from scratch from the "standard" layout the problem occurs every time. I used only the "reports" toolbar with large icons and text. I think this is a bug introduced in 7.01 and that it would be nice to have it fixed . . .

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

Robert, you can send your .lo file directly to tech support using Help > Message Manager > Outgoing and explain what is happening. Include the resolution at which it was designed. They may have some suggestions or know if it is a bug in 7.01.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be -

Virginia

Robert, you can send your .lo file directly to tech support using Help > Message Manager > Outgoing and explain what is happening. Include the resolution at which it was designed. They may have some suggestions or know if it is a bug in 7.01.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be -

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

I've sent the file and a covering note to tech support. I expect that no one will see it until tomorrow as it's now 5 PM here in the west. Many thanks for your continued assistance which I imagine must have taken up a good part of your day.

Robert

Robert -

Try changing the layout name. I do not get the problem with HolmesXX. Maybe it's the _01 appended.

BTW, I tested this at all your resolutions (and get the problem at all the resolutions) and the layout does not fit completely on my 24" monitor at any resolution. The screenshots below are at my default 1280x800, full screen, and the bottom portion does not show. Does it fit on your screen?

Screenshots are of the problem before and after closing and reopening TMG. Both screenshots are full screen; in the second the layout has moved up and to the right.

Later: Nope, after more testing, it's not the _nn appended. Changing it to _02 works fine. Just changing the name??

Virginia

Layout1x.jpglayout2x.jpg

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

Robert -

Try changing the layout name. I do not get the problem with HolmesXX. Maybe it's the _01 appended.

BTW, I tested this at all your resolutions (and get the problem at all the resolutions) and the layout does not fit completely on my 24" monitor at any resolution. The screenshots below are at my default 1280x800, full screen, and the bottom portion does not show. Does it fit on your screen?

Screenshots are of the problem before and after closing and reopening TMG. Both screenshots are full screen; in the second the layout has moved up and to the right.

Later: Nope, after more testing, it's not the _nn appended. Changing it to _02 works fine. Just changing the name??

Virginia

post-23-1208827027_thumb.jpgpost-23-1208827058_thumb.jpg

Dear Virginia,

Alas, name changes aren't doing it for me. And I don't think the screen dimensions relate either, especially since these layouts worked perfectly well on the same screens under version 7.00.

I also tried running TMG 7.01 as administrator (Vista is sometimes fussy about which programs are allowed to write to the registry), but that too didn't make a difference.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I hope tech support can come up with something. All good wishes.

Robert