BoricuaSeeker

TMG V7 How to Enter Long Names

I am hispanic and I have family with long names. For instance: Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano De Rodriguez . Irizarry is Maria's father's Surname, Feliciano is Maria's Mothers Maiden Surname, and Rodriguez is her husbands Surname.

How should I enter this information into TMG V7? Is there a good website for a beginner Genealogist that lists best practices and standards?

I have a hispanic branch of my family as well and have experienced the same "problem" with how to register the information. I came to the following to conclusion based on talks with the elders of that family branch. To use your name as an example I would split it up the following way:

Maria = Given Name

Irizarry Y Feliciano = Surname

De Rodriguez = Married Name (Surname field)

Most people I have talked to seem to prefer keeping multiple last names together as this is apparently how it is done on most official documents. For example the convention of naming a child: <<firstname>> <<fathers last name>> <<mothers lastname>> it is common to treat BOTH last names as the last names for registration purposes. However, in newer times I have seen that the mothers last name of sometimes listed first and in THOSE cases, only the father's name appears in the last name field, while the mothers name appears in the middle name field of the child.

Married names (i.e. De Rodrigez), names derived from marriage, should always be entered as a separate married name in TMG.

I hope this wasn't too confusing; but to sum it up:

1. First name should always appear in the given name field in TMG

2. Married last names should always have a separate Name-Marr tag created in TMG with that name in the surname field

3. If BOTH mothers and father's last name is used for the child and the FATHERS last name is listed FIRST; both names should appear in the Surname field in TMG

4. If BOTH mothers and fathers last name is used for the child and the MOTHERS last name is listed first; the mothers last name should be put in the given name field together with the first name and the fathers last name should appear in the surname field in TMG.

(as far as "De" is concerned, depending on your needs in terms or sorting, you may want to put that in the Pre Surname field in TMG)

I am sure others might do it differently, but this is how I do it.

Ken.

I am hispanic and I have family with long names. For instance: Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano De Rodriguez . Irizarry is Maria's father's Surname, Feliciano is Maria's Mothers Maiden Surname, and Rodriguez is her husbands Surname.

How should I enter this information into TMG V7? Is there a good website for a beginner Genealogist that lists best practices and standards?

Edited by elevator

There are many sites to help you learn TMG. Notable are the sites of Terry Reigel and Lee Hoffman. I gave a presentation to the Arlington Rug about Name Styles. I had developed a couple name styles for hispanic names and included them.

I have attached it here as the meeting presentation is in the Members only part of the RUG webpage. There is a powerpoint presentation but it is 4MB...

Hope this helps!

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

VP Arlington RUG

(the largest TMG Users Group)

200603_Rodriguez_NameStyles.pdf

Thank you very much for your quick replies. I was unable to download the attached file, I get an error "Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

I like very much your suggestions Elevator and will start entering my names that way.

Thank you very much for your quick replies. I was unable to download the attached file, I get an error "Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

Try the download again and see if it works now.

<br />
<br />Try the download again and see if it works now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It works. Thank you very much. Very nice information Janis.. Thank you.

I have a hispanic branch of my family as well and have experienced the same "problem" with how to register the information. I came to the following to conclusion based on talks with the elders of that family branch. To use your name as an example I would split it up the following way:

Maria = Given Name

Irizarry Y Feliciano = Surname

De Rodriguez = Married Name (Surname field)

Most people I have talked to seem to prefer keeping multiple last names together as this is apparently how it is done on most official documents. For example the convention of naming a child: <<firstname>> <<fathers last name>> <<mothers lastname>> it is common to treat BOTH last names as the last names for registration purposes. However, in newer times I have seen that the mothers last name of sometimes listed first and in THOSE cases, only the father's name appears in the last name field, while the mothers name appears in the middle name field of the child.

Married names (i.e. De Rodrigez), names derived from marriage, should always be entered as a separate married name in TMG.

I hope this wasn't too confusing; but to sum it up:

1. First name should always appear in the given name field in TMG

2. Married last names should always have a separate Name-Marr tag created in TMG with that name in the surname field

3. If BOTH mothers and father's last name is used for the child and the FATHERS last name is listed FIRST; both names should appear in the Surname field in TMG

4. If BOTH mothers and fathers last name is used for the child and the MOTHERS last name is listed first; the mothers last name should be put in the given name field together with the first name and the fathers last name should appear in the surname field in TMG.

(as far as "De" is concerned, depending on your needs in terms or sorting, you may want to put that in the Pre Surname field in TMG)

I am sure others might do it differently, but this is how I do it.

Ken.

One more question on this topic of how to enter names. Would it be safe in the example we are using here for me to put ' De Rodriguez ' in the Suffix field? The reason that I ask is because I am interested in the names appearing correctly when I export to Gedcom for upload to a website.

Thanks for your help Ken.

I have some names like that in my own data. I use both Rodriguez and De Rodriguez, with one entered capitalized as a surname in the alternate name variation (Ctl-V) so I can find them if uncertain. I am never sure whether the de/De is part of the surname or not. (comment?) For the first example, I use uncapitalized "de" either following the given name or in the presurname field to show that it is not part of the surname for that version.

Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano de Rodriguez

Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano De Rodriguez

I will then have surnames

Rodriguez

De Rodriguez

I need to change some styles to get the presurname to show up in all places and windows.

Anything in the surname field will be indexed as-is for the picklist sorted by surname.

Edited by retsof

I have some names like that in my own data. I use both Rodriguez and De Rodriguez, with one entered capitalized as a surname in the alternate name variation (Ctl-V) so I can find them if uncertain. I am never sure whether the de/De is part of the surname or not. (comment?) For the first example, I use uncapitalized "de" either following the given name or in the presurname field to show that it is not part of the surname for that version.

Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano de Rodriguez

Maria Irizarry Y Feliciano De Rodriguez

I will then have surnames

Rodriguez

De Rodriguez

I need to change some styles to get the presurname to show up in all places and windows.

Anything in the surname field will be indexed as-is for the picklist sorted by surname.

What I have started doing according to Ken's example is put Maria = Given Name, Irizarry Y Feliciano = Surname and De = Name-Mar pre-surname, Rodriguez Name-Mar Surname. But on the screen you loose the De Rodriguez and for outputing to GED you would loose the De Rodriguez, so I am wondering if there are any negatives to putting De Rodriguez also in the Suffix field so it will look correct on screen and in exports. This way no styles need to be created. I have learned that messing with Styles messes up even more the ged exports.

Edited by BoricuaSeeker

I haven't found any obvious limitations to using the suffix, since it shows up on the picklist and in windows, as opposed to making a new style in various places for pre-surname.

(Why wasn't pre-surname in the standard style and windows to begin with, I wonder?) It is a natural place for things like de, di, ap, verch, von, van.

I have some French names like

Jean Célérier dit DesLauriers

and I'll put dit DesLauriers in the suffix

It translates as "known as DesLauriers".

I also use the suffix as a spot for royal generic designations not strictly part of the name, like "the fat", "the unready", "the boneless", etc.

Edited by retsof