Arman

How to sync data of a replicated project?

Hi,

Thanks to Terry’s tips on ‘Merging projects and data sets’ and ‘Managing data sets and projects’ I learned a lot about the mechanisms available in TMG. (Well done Terry!)

However, the problem that I’m facing now is even more complicated:

Together with some other researchers, I work on a large family project (now over 15 thousand people in a TMG database). We work at different locations, each on a TMG project replica that initially was the same for all of us. Of course, this database is modified as work progresses. In general, we all work on different family branches, but changes may overlap.

What we need now is an easy way to merge the data, or in other words, to synchronize the project. (Synchronization here means to merge data that has been changed since the previous synchronization.)

Can anyone give suggestions on how we best can do this?

We thought that we could use a filter on the ‘Last Edited Date’ and export all persons changed after date xxx. Or something like that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Yes, using the report, List of People with the filter "Last edited date" is the way to go.

If you should have any further questions, you can email me directly at:

dorothyt@whollygenes.com

Glad to be of service, Dorothy

Hi,

Thanks to Terry’s tips on ‘Merging projects and data sets’ and ‘Managing data sets and projects’ I learned a lot about the mechanisms available in TMG. (Well done Terry!)

However, the problem that I’m facing now is even more complicated:

Together with some other researchers, I work on a large family project (now over 15 thousand people in a TMG database). We work at different locations, each on a TMG project replica that initially was the same for all of us. Of course, this database is modified as work progresses. In general, we all work on different family branches, but changes may overlap.

What we need now is an easy way to merge the data, or in other words, to synchronize the project. (Synchronization here means to merge data that has been changed since the previous synchronization.)

Can anyone give suggestions on how we best can do this?

We thought that we could use a filter on the ‘Last Edited Date’ and export all persons changed after date xxx. Or something like that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dorothy, thanks for your answer.

You could, however, help me by giving me some step-by-step recipe for the synchronization. At this moment I'm still a newbie regarding project and data set management, and I discovered all kinds of restrictions in TMG (like import of TMG v6 is not possible).

What I really need is the simplest solution, without of with only a minimum of manual interference. Procedures that can be automated will be welcomed.