GenerationGoneBy

Unique use of [+] and [:NP:] variables

I mostly use Second Site for my output so this method works best with it, but can be used with TMG output as well.

Let's say I have great grandpa's will, and I want to transcribe the FULL will into a TMG paragraph (group of tags). I want a sentence with the basics, D, L, Role, and I want an exhibit and a transcription. If I use one tag, TMG will print:

Billy Bob Jones wrote his will 23 Jun 1900 in Rutherford County, TN. James Jones, Rebecca Smith and Susan Allen were listed as heirs. The following is a transcription of that will: Followed by a very long page of will text. Then an icon for the image (or the image depending on options). 5

But I prefer the footnote to be after the basic sentence, then the image, then the very long transcription. To do this, I have THREE tags.

Tag one is called EST-Will

[:CR:][:TAB:] [R:Testator] wrote his will <[D]> < [L]>. <[R:heir] were listed as heirs.><[M]>[:NP:] (The memo here is for text that I want to print that isn't part of the transcription, like "Susan Allen is Billy Bob's widowed sister." If you use the [:NP:] variable, you have to provide the punctuation in the memo.)

Tag two is called EST-WillIMG

[+][:NB:][:NB:][:NP:]

Tag three is called EST-Will Text

[+] The following is a transcription of that will. [:CR:][:TAB:][M][:NP:] (same thing for the [:NP:] variable. I use it here because most of my wills end with the witnesses and don't need punctuation.)

I attach the source to tag one. The image to tag two and the transcription to tag three.

This prints: Billy Bob Jones wrote his will 23 Jun 1900 in Rutherford County, TN. James Jones, Rebecca Smith and Susan Allen were listed as heirs.5 IMAGE ICON (or the image depending on options)

The following is a transcription of that will: Followed by a very long page of will text.

Using HTML codes for SS, I can have the transcription of the memo in a box, set off by color. Using the new Center or LIND, I can have it centered or left indented.

5 Example of footnote placement within text using each method.

Any group of tags where long text transcriptions are going to be used, like Deeds, Biographies, etc could be used in this manner.

Teresa,

I don't understand why you need to join the tags. In the construct you use, the image tag doens't produce any text output at all, and the output of the transciption tag starts with a new sentence. What do the [+] codes add? Why not just make them independant tags?

Probably could get away with them being independent tags. I want to be sure they all print as one sentence, and not as separate ones. The main thing is I need the [:NP] variable so that I don't get any text for the image, and don't get any punctuation for the end of the text tag. That's why this forum is good. To clarify things like that.

If your only output was for Second Site, I don't think you'd need the [:NP:] or [+] codes because SS handles the specific output you mentioned without adding punctuation. With the codes, both SS and TMG will produce the results you want.