Pete48

Concealing a branch

Hello, is there a way that a branch of the family tree can be concealed before exporting a GEDCOM file and then revealing it after?

Regards Pete

For any kind of export, whether to GEDCOM or to anything else, in Step 4 of the Export Wizard you can select what people should be in the export. These can either be people on a (probably filtered) Project explorer, or people in the current Focus Group. So get one or the other of these set to the people you want (which excludes everyone else), and then do the export. If you plan on defining who you want multiple times, you may want to either save the filter in the PE, save the Focus Group, or set a flag to an appropriate value for the people you want and use that whenever you want to either filter the PE or create a Focus Group.

By the way, are you sure you want to use GEDCOM? It is a very old file structure and its definition does not permit including many of the newer and valuable features in TMG, Witnesses to name just one.

Hope this gives you ideas,

For any kind of export, whether to GEDCOM or to anything else, in Step 4 of the Export Wizard you can select what people should be in the export. These can either be people on a (probably filtered) Project explorer, or people in the current Focus Group. So get one or the other of these set to the people you want (which excludes everyone else), and then do the export. If you plan on defining who you want multiple times, you may want to either save the filter in the PE, save the Focus Group, or set a flag to an appropriate value for the people you want and use that whenever you want to either filter the PE or create a Focus Group.

By the way, are you sure you want to use GEDCOM? It is a very old file structure and its definition does not permit including many of the newer and valuable features in TMG, Witnesses to name just one.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Hi Michael,Thanks for your advise; I have tried several variations of focus groups with poor results. The theory seems simple but putting it into practice is proving harder than envisaged. I want to export my tree to a distant cousin, my tree includes branches that are not relevant to their family. Because I foresee having to do this periodically I thought the best way would be to include all individuals in the one group and then delete all members of another group that are made up of irrelevant family branches. Could you lead me through that process please? or is there an easier way? Also I realise that a GEDCOM file leaves a lot to be desired, what type of file would you suggest knowing that I they don't use TMG.

Pete

Hi Michael,Thanks for your advise; I have tried several variations of focus groups with poor results. The theory seems simple but putting it into practice is proving harder than envisaged. I want to export my tree to a distant cousin, my tree includes branches that are not relevant to their family. Because I foresee having to do this periodically I thought the best way would be to include all individuals in the one group and then delete all members of another group that are made up of irrelevant family branches. Could you lead me through that process please? or is there an easier way?

Sometimes it's easier to find those you want to send, in which case the Focus Group method works well. But sometimes it's easier to define those you don't want to send. In that case, it's usually easier to set a flag for them, then use that flag in a filter in the Project Explorer, select everyone who is then in the PE, and use that for the export. To set the flag, you can use either the focus group, or a filter, and set the flag with the secondary output of the List of People report.

If you think you may want to use the same group again, I think the Flag method is easier to maintain as you add new people to the data set. Add the flag to the Add Person screen, and set it correctly for each new person you add.

Also I realise that a GEDCOM file leaves a lot to be desired, what type of file would you suggest knowing that I they don't use TMG.

The "file type" I recommend is a PDF, of a report that shows the people you want to send. That way nothing is lost. I don't merge files I receive from others, nor send the GEDCOMs, for the reasons stated in my Editorial.

Hi Michael,Thanks for your advise; I have tried several variations of focus groups with poor results. The theory seems simple but putting it into practice is proving harder than envisaged. I want to export my tree to a distant cousin, my tree includes branches that are not relevant to their family. Because I foresee having to do this periodically I thought the best way would be to include all individuals in the one group and then delete all members of another group that are made up of irrelevant family branches. Could you lead me through that process please? or is there an easier way?

Sometimes it's easier to find those you want to send, in which case the Focus Group method works well. But sometimes it's easier to define those you don't want to send. In that case, it's usually easier to set a flag for them, then use that flag in a filter in the Project Explorer, select everyone who is then in the PE, and use that for the export. To set the flag, you can use either the focus group, or a filter, and set the flag with the secondary output of the List of People report.

If you think you may want to use the same group again, I think the Flag method is easier to maintain as you add new people to the data set. Add the flag to the Add Person screen, and set it correctly for each new person you add.

Also I realise that a GEDCOM file leaves a lot to be desired, what type of file would you suggest knowing that I they don't use TMG.

The "file type" I recommend is a PDF, of a report that shows the people you want to send. That way nothing is lost. I don't merge files I receive from others, nor send the GEDCOMs, for the reasons stated in my Editorial.

Everything is fine now, flags set and added to Add Person screen.

Thank's for your help.