dvs

List of People - Names

I have been trying to create a list of people to use when looking for death dates and obits. I've used Name Group Tag: Last, Given name, Spouses Name Group tag: Last, given name, birth group tag; date, birth group tag; place, death group tag; date, death group tag; place. This works fine for men, single women and women who have been married once, but when the woman has had multiple marriages I don't get the last spouse. As a result I don't know what her name would have been at the time of death. Is there a better way to achieve the same results?

I haven't tried it myself, but you might experiment with a List of Names report rather than a List of People. I would think that output columns that might be useful would be:

Primary Marker

Last,Given

ID Number

Subject Birth Group* tag; Date

Subject Death Group* tag; Date

I don't see a way to get the Birth/Death place information, but maybe this would be enough?

Hope this gives you ideas,

That option does give the married names, but I need the place info as well when looking for obits. Also, I am using "Is a descendant of" when creating the filter group. I've made a flag to note if I have the obit info already and I'm including that on my report as well. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

DVS

To solve the issue of women with multiple marriages you could try filtering your picklist similar to your list of names report but also restrict to females with more than 1 marriage. Then copy the result to your Focus Group. From within the Focus group you can add spouses for the females. You could then run a List of People for everyone in the Focus Group or you may wish to manually remove the first husbands.

Won't give you exactly the result you want but it will enable you to get there.

Edited by nbradley

I have been trying to create a list of people to use when looking for death dates and obits. I've used Name Group Tag: Last, Given name, Spouses Name Group tag: Last, given name, birth group tag; date, birth group tag; place, death group tag; date, death group tag; place. This works fine for men, single women and women who have been married once, but when the woman has had multiple marriages I don't get the last spouse. As a result I don't know what her name would have been at the time of death. Is there a better way to achieve the same results?

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Unfortunately, there is no solution that fits perfectly.

You may look into the help for "List of People". There is a paragraph dealing with multi-married people. One of the main points here is that you need to introduce a multi-marriage flag.

Regards

Helmut

I played with the mult-marr flag too, but using the list of events doesn't get me the birth and death info that I'm looking for. I wonder if the secret lies in using the name fields differently. Maybe a special name tag that is for current name But then that name would have to be available in the list of people reports. I have read some of the posts about having the surname field show the married name with the maiden name in (). I didn't really want to make that change because 1) I have way too many names in my project and 2) I don't like how that appears on other reports.

It would be nice if instead of showing the last spouse that was viewed as the primary spouse we could either designate which spouse is primary or have the program default to the latest marriage.