DebbieV76

Counting the number in each generation

I know that my great great grandfather had 8 children, and 64 grandchildren. Those numbers are easily counted. In a family as large as mine, the counting from here out is a challenge. Is there a report definition that would help me get the number of great grandchildren, and the count of subsequent generations? Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! :)

Debbie

Try a kinship report - it will list relations under their relationship - you can then just count them.

The only problem with defining generations is that once you get further away from the starting person the chance of having a marriage between two cousins of different generations increases - the resultant children become members of two generations for example 4xgreat grandchildren & 5x great grandchildren. I have ancestors who are four generations after a series of these marriages.

Another method might be to create a series of descendant reports, each with one more generation than the last, and take note of the number of people reported as the report is created. The number in each generation can then be found by subtraction.

An Indented Descendant Chart, with Spouses turned off on the Miscellaneous tab of Options, works well and computes quickly.

You still have the issue Peter mentioned if there are intermarriages.