mosh

sharing sources between data sets?

I have three different families with a common surname from the same ancestral area who may be related, but I haven't yet found the links. I would like to keep the three families separate until I find such links. I assume that the best way to deal with this situation would be to put each family in a separate data set within a single project.

However, I'm not sure what to do about sources. As far as I understand, the sources in each data set will also be separate. If so, many of the sources cited in the separate data sets will be duplicated between the data sets. Assuming that I am able to find the missing links between the families, when I merge the data sets there will then be an unnecessary and unwanted duplication of sources.

How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Mosh

I would use a single dataset for all families. It's much harder to maintain separate datasets, especially when there is overlap in sources, etc. If there are no connections, it's relatively easy to keep the lines separate in reports, etc., even if they are all in the same dataset.

To answer your question directly, no. You cannot share sources, sentences, or anything else between datasets. The whole idea of a dataset is that they are separate. The dataset feature is useful for reviewing information that you want to keep separate, such as data sent to you from other researchers, but I don't think it helps in the situation you described.

I'd second John's suggestion to keep the three lines in a single data set. If you want to be able to distingush between the three lines, I'd sugget use of a Flag and Accents.

Thanks for the responses. This same situation (multiple families sharing a surname from the same ancestral area, yet with "missing links" between them) exists in more than one of my ancestral branches.