mkd19

Living Flag not setting to "N" when appropriate

I am using TMG v. 7.03 on a Vista machine. My "Living" flag is not automatically setting to "N" for individuals that are missing a death tag and who would be more than 110 years old. Consequently, the "suppress details for living persons" feature is being applied to long dead individuals that are missing death tags. This is occurring in charts as well as reports. My TMG Preferences are still set at 110 years old, so that is not the cause. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks in advance.

Mike

I am using TMG v. 7.03 on a Vista machine. My "Living" flag is not automatically setting to "N" for individuals that are missing a death tag and who would be more than 110 years old. Consequently, the "suppress details for living persons" feature is being applied to long dead individuals that are missing death tags. This is occurring in charts as well as reports. My TMG Preferences are still set at 110 years old, so that is not the cause. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Are you entering a birth date? The Living flag is only set automatically based on the date in the birth tag or the existence of a death tag...It does not consider dates in other tags....

Are you entering a birth date? The Living flag is only set automatically based on the date in the birth tag or the existence of a death tag...It does not consider dates in other tags....

Yes, all these individuals have either or both birth and baptism tags. Some of the dates are "circa" dates, but I assume that a birth "circa 1784" would still trigger the automatic "N" setting in the Living flag. Is that assumption incorrect?

The circa dates will work, but as I said in reply to your post on TMG-L, the "width" of the Circa range gets added to the lifespan, so your 110 years gets expanded to 130 years if you have that set at 20 years.

Thanks evryone. Following is an update that I also sent to the TMG email list last last night:

In digging around further, I've discovered that most of the long-dead people who are showing as "still living" in charts and reports have an empty setting on the Living flag. The setting is simply blank. Whenever I open the birth tag for one of these people, the "blank" Living flag spontaneously resets itself to the appropriate "N". Any idea what could be causing this?

I tried TMGU, but it did not resolve because, from what I can tell, TMGU only adjusts the flag settings from Y or ? to N, it does not fill in blank settings. I'll probably have to fix them all manually.

Use the List of People report / Secondary output option to set the Living flag to '?' for all people.

Then use the List of People report / Secondary output option to set the flag for filtered groups...

such as...

Death Group... # of tags > 0 OR

Birth Group... Date

Marriage Group... Date

And then use TMG Utility to get the additional individuals.

I tried TMGU, but it did not resolve because, from what I can tell, TMGU only adjusts the flag settings from Y or ? to N, it does not fill in blank settings. I'll probably have to fix them all manually.

Jim's response describes a good method that will avoid the tedium of fixing them all manually.

Regarding TMGU, the only Living flag value that is eligible to be changed by TMGU "?". A blank value is not correct and TMGU doesn't have a special exception for that.