Davenato

Importing tag types

I have specific census tags (and corresponding roles) in my primrary data set for the census records for 1790 - 1920. However, when I started a new project, the only available tag for census is "Census", no choice of differing years. When I look at the help index, it states I should "highlight the tag in the imported tag type window and then highlight the tag in the standard tag window and then hit "assign". Where exactly are these windows and where is the assign key?

Edited by Davenato

There are probably many different ways to accomplish what you seem to want, and there might be simpler ways to do this, but the following works for me. This involves merging projects and datasets, and I would highly recommend reviewing Terry's Tips on merging.

In the project that contains your primary dataset, use the Dataset Manager to add a new blank dataset based on your primary dataset. Be sure to choose the options to copy all attributes of your primary dataset.

Now use TMG to copy the entire project into a new project. In that new project delete all datasets except the new empty one, and renumber that empty dataset to ‘1’. In your primary project you can now delete this empty dataset.

This project with the empty dataset will have all your custom tags available for use ready to enter data. If you are going to import data from somewhere else, just import it into this new project. If you already have created a project with data, merge that project into the new project with the empty dataset, then merge the dataset with data into the empty dataset. The direction of merging is very important.

Since you have custom tags, you should understand what happens to them when you merge datasets. (See Terry's Tips mentioned above.) If the receiving dataset has a tag type of the same name, the customization to that tag type in the sending dataset is lost. Where the same tag types exist in both datasets but their definitions are different, such tags will have to be individually resolved. (This might be a motivation to only customize new tag types with new names and not touch standard tag types. For example, don't customize the Census tag type, create a new MyCensus tag type. If you need to merge from a dataset that has customized standard tag types, you could use the TMG Master Tag Type List to first copy all potentially conflicting tag types used in the sending dataset to new unique tag type names and then use something like the TMG Utility to change all tags of the conflicting tag types to these new unique types prior to the merge.) TMG will copy any custom tag types from the sending dataset when there is no tag type of the same name in the receiving dataset. Separate local customization of individual tags will be retained.

Hope this gives you ideas on how to deal with custom tags,

Edited by Michael Hannah

When I look at the help index, it states I should "highlight the tag in the imported tag type window and then highlight the tag in the standard tag window and then hit "assign". Where exactly are these windows and where is the assign key?

The Help section you are reading has to do with Importing from GEDCOM, not copying Tag Types between two TMG Projects. There is no way to do that directly - you have to use a method like Michael describes.