davenmesa

Descendancy Narrative Report

I have sorted undated tags such as "Alt. Names", "SSN", etc. to the bottom of my Person View. Yet this report continues to start each section with "His SSN is ......" or "He ......." for the first sentence immediately followed by "John Doe, son of Mr. Doe and Mrs. Doe, was born ......."

What do I have to do to get these sentences in the proper order? (i.e. "John Doe, son of Mr. Doe and Mrs. Doe, was born ....." to be the first sentence)

I thought I had this problem fixed once ..... but unfortunately it has returned again.

David

The sort option you used applies only to the display in the Person View.

Sorting of Tags in reports is controlled by the Sort Date, with tags with no sort date always coming first.

If you are using "Beginner Mode" for data entry you cannot see the Sort Dates. To see them, switch to "Advanced Mode" in Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry.

Thanks for the info. For the life of me, I can't see the logic in a program requiring you enter the same sort date in two different places. There must be a reason. A warning message might be helpful.

Thanks again for those replying to this request.

David

You don't have to enter the same sort date in two places --- If you enter a date in the date field, TMG automatically enters the same date in the sort date field. In beginner mode you don't even see that, but in advanced mode you can see the same date in both fields.

Generally, that's all that's required for dated tags. The separate sort date field does allow you to enter a different date as the sort date if you want the tags to be sorted in a different order than by the regular date. I use that, for example, to group tags by subject rather than date when I have a lot of information about a person. It is also useful when you have two tags with the same date - you can enter a different sort date in one of them to force them to sort as you prefer.

Sort dates are also useful for undated tags, as in the case here. You can leave the regular date empty and use a sort date to place the tag where you want it.