thjelmstad

Cause of Death - new tag or memo on Death

Is there a preferred method for saving cause of death information. Placing in the Death Tag memo field is what the import did. Several discussion groups describe that as normal. But what if the Death Tag memo field should/does contain other info?

Ancillary to this question. We imported a very large FTM database which had many, but not a majority of people with a death cause in the Medical Record. Is there a way to report on TMG database pulling all people who have a Death Tag with a non-blank Memo field?

Thanks,

Tony

Is there a preferred method for saving cause of death information. Placing in the Death Tag memo field is what the import did. Several discussion groups describe that as normal. But what if the Death Tag memo field should/does contain other info?

You can accomodate that by using the split memo feature for the added memo part and altering the sentence structure.

The memo could be:

cause of death||some additional information

And the sentence could be something like:

[P] died

So the output would be something like:

He died 22 Mar 1999 at Big Community Hospital, Anytown, Anystate at age 73 of coronary artery disease; He died peacefully in his sleep.

Ancillary to this question. We imported a very large FTM database which had many, but not a majority of people with a death cause in the Medical Record. Is there a way to report on TMG database pulling all people who have a Death Tag with a non-blank Memo field?

List of Events

filter

Tag Type... Label = DEATH AND

Memo Is NOT EMPTY END

My customized sentences for the Death tag type are very similar, but you may want to customize them with more than just the cause of death:

Male: "[P] died <.>"

Female: "[P] died <.>"

I have [M1] provide the details or cause of the death in all the sentences, with [M2] an optional comment that only appears in the Principal's sentence and [M3] an optional trailing comment that I include in both the Principal and Witness sentences. I attach the spouse with the Role of "widow(er)" and that Role's Witness sentence also includes the Principal's memo part that identifies the cause of death like:

Male: "[W] became a widower when his wife [PF] died."

Female: "[W] became a widow when her husband [PF] died."

For example, the Principal memo might be:

of a brain tumor||along with four surviving sons and eight grandchildren. The final months of his life were very difficult for him and his family||The local branch of the VFW gave a solemn presentation at the funeral.

The spouse Witness memo might be:

She lost fifty pounds during his final months over the strain of nursing and finally losing him.

For him I would get as output:

He died of a brain tumor on 22 Mar 1999 at Big Community Hospital, Anytown, Anystate at age 73 leaving his wife Sarah a widow along with four surviving sons and eight grandchildren. The final months of his life were very difficult for him and his family. The local branch of the VFW gave a solemn presentation at the funeral.

For her I would get as output:

She became a widow when her husband John died of a brain tumor on 22 Mar 1999. She lost fifty pounds during his final months over the strain of nursing and finally losing him. The local branch of the VFW gave a solemn presentation at the funeral.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Guest Michael Dietz

I have a very simple custom tag named Cause of Death

[PF] died due to [M]

This allows any type of memo and because it is adjacent to the Death tag (I use the sort date field to insure this) it naturally follows the sentence of the Death tag. It also allows as large a memo as I wish, IE., length of disease, complications, treatments, etc..

I am the first to state I have very few individuals in which I know the cause of death so it is not a major consideration.

Mike