Hans-Juergen

marriage in the detail window?

Hello,

I have 2 persons:

the first was 2x married and the other was only 1x married.

I have create 2 events:

marriage 1 and

marriage 2

For the 1. person i take marriage 2.

Now I see in the detail-window of the 2. person also the date of marriage as marriage 2!

But there must show as marriage 1!!!

how can I change this for the 2. person?

With greetings and thanks

Hans-Juergen

Do you mean that you created two new marriage tags? Marriage 1 and Marriage 2? If so, then you've made it more complicated then it needs to be and you will get the result you're seeing.

For people married more than once, just use the regular marriage tag as is...no changes. The dates will put the marriages in the proper order. What I then usually do is modify the sentence for the second marriage to read something like: "After his first wife died, [P] married [PO] <[D]> <[L]>"...of course without the quotes.

Have I understood you correctly?

John

If I am understanding correctly, you have a couple who are married, with one of them also having another marriage. Right so far?

But I'm not sure what you've done from there. You have created two standard marriage tags for them? Or have you created a custom Marriage Tag Type for second marriages?

If you want TMG to see them as married you will need to put both of them is a single marriage tag. There are several ways of indicting that a person has multiple marriages, and which marriage each is for that person. One is described in my article on Multiple Marriages - but which will work best for you depends on where you want that information to appear - on the Person View, in Narrative reports, or on other types of reports.

If you can help us better understand what you are trying to do we may be able to offer more specific help.

Hello,

yes, I have created 2 new tags: marriage 1 and marriage 2. The men has marriage 2 and the wife has marriage 1. In the detail-window of each person show it as marriage 2, if I put marriage 2 for the men. But for the wife must be show marriage 1!

Terry: I have sampled how you write in Your article. But it change always in the same, how it is for the other person :-(( I be to asinine, I think :-((

Greetings

Hans-Juergen

Each marriage tag needs two principals (or only one if only one is known).

I still don't understand why you created custom tags and you do need to make sure that the custom tags are in the Marriage group.

You seem to have:

person 1 married person 2

person 1 married person 3 (or person 3 is unknown)

One marriage tag would be linked to person 1 and person 2.

One marriage tag would be linked to person 1 and person 3 (person 3 might be unknown and not linked).

Two marriage tags would show in the Tag Box for person 1.

One marriage tag would show in the Tag Box for person 2.

One marriage tag would show in the Tag Box for person 3 (if that person existed).

If that doesn't explain it, you should list the people for each marriage that you have so we have a better idea of what you are doing.

Private message has been sent directly to Hans-Jürgen since I guess we're facing some kind of "understanding issues" here. ;)

Private message has been sent directly to Hans-Jürgen since I guess we're facing some kind of "understanding issues" here. ;)

"Confusion" solved.

Explained in German why the undesired result happened.

Tips provided how to better / differently handle this.