Robert Jacobs

Trouble putting exhibits into reports

I am trying to prepare journal and descendancy narratives which have pictures or other exhibits in them. In the report options exhibits tab I check to include internal and external exhibits, & to have the files embedded & written to the output directory. The report format is "Word 2000 or later." When I run the report it is written properly to the report-output directory, but there's no sign of the exhibit links. The report is correctly formatted and although the captions of the various exhibits does appear, there are no pictures. The "links" button in Microsoft Word is greyed out.

I am using version 7.03 of TMG & running under Windows XP SP3 (virtualized under Microsoft Virtual PC 2700). I'm trying to find a work-around for TMG's inability to write word-processor reports while running under my 64-bit system. Has any one solved this?

Any help will be gratefully received.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

I can't imagine how the environment is an issue.

1) For one of the involved images, confirm that the path in the image Properties is correct.

2) Try changing the Preferences / Exhibits setting from frowny faces to thumbnails.

3) After the above... Try running the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to check and update the file links in the exhibits data table.

Bravo, Jim! The exhibits had become disconnected and "validate file integrity" set to reconnect them in the proper directory did the trick.

I can't thank you enough. The problem has been that I am constrained to use Vista 64 on my big home machine and that it has become physically difficult to get to a 32-bit machine capable of preparing the word-processor reports. I'm now up and running, about to print my first journal (once I've adjusted the size of a few pictures), and extremely happy.

This is a solution which can be recommended to other 64-bit system users at least until TMG comes out with a new Wordport module. Virtual PC 2700 is easy to install and use. My machine has 8 gb of memory which probably helps it run better, but it does run XP32 in 512 mb which should be in the reach of many who would use Vista64 or XP64 as the host system.

If you're ever in the desert side of Washington State in the Pacific Northwest there's coffee or better awaiting you.

formerprof

There actually is a bug that should be fixed in the next update.

I'm happy that you were able to resolve it.

Any time that you move to a new system (which you effectively did), it is necessary to run VFI to update the exhibit paths unless the data paths on the new system are identical to the paths on the original system.

Any time that you move to a new system (which you effectively did), it is necessary to run VFI to update the exhibit paths unless the data paths on the new system are identical to the paths on the original system.

Exactly so, it seems, and that's one of the reasons why I have my host (XP x64) "main" HD as "F:" drive and run vanilla XP 32bit in vmware server -> this configuration allows me to map the host "F:" drive AS a "F:" drive in the virtualized system too, so any program which unwisely uses absolute instead of relative paths for any data files will still work fine. ;)

After moving TMG v6 to a new system, I have the same problem: in all reports the exhibits are not shown. All exhibits are external and the location is the same as on the old system. New exhibits, however, are shown.

I ran the VFI, including the check of external exhibits: no problems found.

How can I fix this problem? Any help is appreciated.

Set the Preferences / Current Project Options / Exhibits tab / to show thumbnails and see if that makes a difference.

Your exhibits are in a single folder or in a tree?

Jim, thanks for your reply.

TMG v6 does not have an Exhibit tab (sorry, I see now that I should have placed the topic in the v6 forum). But in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced the Save image thumbnails is switched off.

All exhibits are in a single folder.

Sorry. I missed the v6 part.

You have checked the Properties of an exhibit missing in a report and the path is correct?

The exhibits are linked to people or events or both? The option to output event exhibits is selected in the report options? The option to output all exhibits is selected in report options?

When an exhibit is missing, there is no space reserved for it. Thus, there are no properties to check.

The exhibits are mostly linked to persons. The option to output all exhibits is selected in the report.

==========

Wait, wow, I just saw that the problem is over. For some unknown reason, TMG repaired itself! Maybe several verfifications, checks, redefinition of exhibit folder, or whatever, corrected the error.

Anyway, thanks for your inspiring help.

When an exhibit is missing, there is no space reserved for it. Thus, there are no properties to check.

I have no idea what that means. Every exhibit linked to a project shows in the Exhibit Log and has properties one of which is the file path for external exhibits. You can see the properties by selecting the exhibit in the Exhibit Log, right-clicking on the exhibit and selecting 'Properties'.

Glad that the issue has been resolved.