Hans-Juergen

forename: how I can this highlight?

In TMG4 I used to use the [bOLD:] xxxx[:BOLD] around the name I wanted to stand out when doing data entry and it worked on printed reports but I believe it was an "unsupported feature" and I don't know if it works in TMG7.

Andy Hatchett

Hello Hans,

I am unclear on what you mean by "highlight" a forename. Do you have multiple NameVar tags that specify these different forenames? If so, there are two ways to make a specific NameVar tag be used. First you could toggle that NameVar tag to the the Primary name tag, which would make it the default for most output. Second, in each event tag you can select which of the multiple NameVar tags should be used for the output of that particular event tag. Is this what you want?

Hope this gives you ideas,

In TMG4 I used to use the [bOLD:] xxxx[:BOLD] around the name I wanted to stand out when doing data entry and it worked on printed reports but I believe it was an "unsupported feature" and I don't know if it works in TMG7.

Andy Hatchett

Hi Andy,

Yes, those bold codes can be used to highlight specific text in an event tag sentence, either globally for that type of tag or locally for a specific tag. In fact they are now even easier to use. Simply select the text in the sentence that you want to make bold, right click, choose the menu option to Format that text, and select Bold. However, if you or Hans wants to change the looks of all names in reports there is now a separate Tab called "Fonts" on most report options to define the font to be used for various values in the report. There is a separate field to define the font for all Given names. Perhaps this will be of value.

I am unclear on what you mean by "highlight" a forename. Do you have multiple NameVar tags that specify these different forenames?

Just a guess from my understanding of Hans-Jürgen's post:

No, he doesn't have multiple NameVar tags. The given names he's talking about are all in one, primary NameVar tag (like: John Robert Theodore).

Now Hans-Jürgen asks about a way to indicate (= highlight) that in one case "John" is the name of the person by which this person is known and i.e. in another case "Theodore" is the name of the person by which this person is known.

No, he doesn't have multiple NameVar tags. The given names he's talking about are all in one, primary NameVar tag (like: John Robert Theodore).

Now Hans-Jürgen asks about a way to indicate (= highlight) that in one case "John" is the name of the person by which this person is known and i.e. in another case "Theodore" is the name of the person by which this person is known.

Ahhh... He might consider doing something that is similar to what people do concerning married and maiden names for people. Many use one of the Name fields that they do not normally output to add information to distinguish similar names. Using your example, you might enter "-called John" in the Suffix field. Note the leading dash '-' to make this excluded data so it will not usually print. Alternatively you could make a custom Name Style that included the OtherName field only in the "Surname display template" and "Given display template" and put the identifying information in that field. If that field was not in the "Output template" then it would not print.

Of course the coding didn't work *sigh*

In many Genealogy books on Royalty where there can be many given names the use something like:

"John ROBERT Theodore"

to indicate the name normally used.

No, in TMG you would need to use [bOLD:] It does work, but only I believe when the report goes to a word processor or PDF. Not to screen. It's been a while since I tested it. There's also quotes like John Robert "Theodore" Smith.