vette

Repair mode re-indexing

I continue to receive the fatal error - "shutting down program". After trying to reboot, it goes into the repair mode and does not give me the option of booting the “LAST Project”. I also noticed that just before shutting down the program is attempting to re-indexing.

Thank you very much

vette -

When you get the fatal error 'shutting down program', is there a particular action that seems to trigger it each time, like adding people, saving a tag, changing focus to another person, anything specific? Is this the same problem you were having in August here?

Virginia

Yes, it does seem to be the same problem. It only happens when I boot the program to start working. I may have other problems, but have not discovered them. I am very concerned about entering any data until it is repaired, therefore I have used TMG very little.

Thank you

Alan

Alan -

Is TMG v7 installed in the default locations? That is explained in Help / Data File Storage.

Have you run the Maintence options (File menu) on that project? They should be run in this order: Optimize - Validate File Integrity - Optimize, until no more errors are reported.

Virginia

Alan -

Is TMG v7 installed in the default locations? That is explained in Help / Data File Storage.

Have you run the Maintence options (File menu) on that project? They should be run in this order: Optimize - Validate File Integrity - Optimize, until no more errors are reported.

Virginia

my data file storage is:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALAN W. JACKA\MY DOCUMENTS\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST V7\Projects\mymainjackaproject

Is this correct?

I have not run the maintenance options, but I will run it soon.

Thank you

Alan

By default in WinXP, TMG is installed in Program Files and the first time that the program is run, the files which can be modified are copied to user space in one of the three Data File Storage folders:

1. Shared Program Data Files (used by program - buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. User Program Data Files (used by program + user - layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.):

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. User Data Files (belonging to user - logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, etc.):

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

When TMG loads, it will look to those locations for the files it needs to start up correctly. Your User Data files are in the default location, so I expect the other 2 data file storage folders are also. Jim has indicated that he will run an analysis on your project and that may determine the problem.

The Data File Storage system is covered in more detail in Help / Data File Storage with links to Advanced topics. I included screenshots of the folders and some explanatory notes in my article here.

Virginia

my data file storage is:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALAN W. JACKA\MY DOCUMENTS\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST V7\Projects\mymainjackaproject

Is this correct?

Alan,

in general that path is correct.

At the very end of that path it reads according to you: mymainjackaproject

If that is your project name then I'd say by what reason so ever your project seems to be corrupt.

A correct and valid project name would read: mymainjackaproject_.pjc [Please note the ending: underline, dot, file ending "pjc".]

Is that really not there or did you simply leave that out when providing the path name above?

If this specific "ending" is really missing this would be the reason why the "Last" button is dimmed because TMG cannot recognize and load your project and why you run into this fatal error situation.

Two ways to go from here:

- either you take Jim's offer to contact him directly (see message above)

or before you do so

- you first try to run TMG's maintenance routines

Vera,

I am a little confused. IF I search for a*.pjc file, "mymainjackaproject" is provided as a result of the search. However, looking at the file in several different views, I see the word \project but I never see the extension_.pjc

Thanks Alan

Alan -

Check your settings in Windows Explorer. It may be set to hide extensions. The View settings are in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View. I suggest these:

Select: Display the full path in the address bar

Select: Display the full path in the title bar

Select: Show hidden files and folders

Clear: Hide extensions for known file types

Virginia