karthur

Exhibit Log

I have a picture of a principal and several scanned items that I want to display in the reports. I have the picture set as "Primary" and it displays fine, but how do I get the other to be displayed? Can I have more than one primary exhibit?

Also, the picture that I have was scanned full size. In my report, it takes up the full page. I have to manually go into the report and change the size of it each time. Is there a setting that I am missing in TMG that will resize ALL my images to be one particular size?

What will happen if I use a picture in an exhibit, then I later move the file with Windows Explorer? Will TMG still be able to find it? If not, how can I point it to the new location?

I have a picture of a principal and several scanned items that I want to display in the reports. I have the picture set as "Primary" and it displays fine, but how do I get the other to be displayed? Can I have more than one primary exhibit?

There can be only one primary image exhibit for a person.

You can include all of a person's images in reports by changing the options on the Exhibits tab in the report options.

Also, the picture that I have was scanned full size. In my report, it takes up the full page. I have to manually go into the report and change the size of it each time. Is there a setting that I am missing in TMG that will resize ALL my images to be one particular size?

You need to keep an archive of your original images and standardize image sizing for the images that you are using with TMG to control the image sizes in report output.

What will happen if I use a picture in an exhibit, then I later move the file with Windows Explorer? Will TMG still be able to find it? If not, how can I point it to the new location?

You can correct the path in the exhibit properties.

You can also have the program update exhibit paths by using the external exhibits option of Validate File Integrity.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

See the 'Moving exhibits' topic in the help index.

External exhibits are links to external exhibit files.

Internal exhibits are imported and stored in the database itself. They naturally increase the size of the exhibits table in the database.... and increase the size of backups since there is no ability to exclude them from backups.

External exhibit links can be exported to GEDCOM and external exhibits can be used when building a website with Second Site (the website builder program that is complementary to TMG). Internal exhibits can't be exported to GEDCOM or used by Second Site. If you ever plan to put your data on a website (irrespective of how you do it), you want to use only external exhibits.

The Sample project (for example) uses only internal exhibits (probably as a matter of convenience).

Personally, I only use external exhibits (for the reasons covered above) and prefer to manage and backup my exhibit files outside of TMG.

I am the same with Jim on the external exhibits.

My TMG backup is 39 MB. Backing that up takes about a minute or less.

My Pictures directory is 7.3 GB. If I tried to back that up with TMG it would take hours to do a simple backup. I backup TMG several times an editing session, but Pictures just once a month.