Guest Michael Dietz

How to create a stand alone memo?

Guest Michael Dietz

I think I know the answer to this but I am going to ask in case somebody has a better answer.

I would like to have an Appendix in my book(?). I know I can create the page with Word and then include it in the final document. However that means the page is not accessible from the database. I know I can have a 'dummy' person and have multiple notes attached to that person. But that is a kludge and that person named Appendix I would appear in the pick lists, etc.

Is there any way to have a standalone memo/note/etc. with no link to a person? (probably not)

Thank you for your time and attention to this.

Mike

Guest Michael Dietz

Thank you Terry.

I think that might work. Since I am printing various reports for the book(?) including a journal report it will at least give me the page for the Appendix and the data (explanation of the abbreviations and acronyms uses) will be in the database and a lot easier to maintain.. I had no idea those two tags even existed.

I hope you and your family have a great and enjoyable Thanksgiving and don't eat too much (NOT). Since our kids and grandkids are all going to the other parents and grandparents Charlene and I are going to pig out on a gigantic tub of buttered popcorn at the movie.

Again thank you.

Mike

You realize that you can use external text files in memos rather than adding the text directly to the memo? Precede the path with a '!'.

!c:\folder\folder2\textfile.txt

I know I can have a 'dummy' person and have multiple notes attached to that person. But that is a kludge and that person named Appendix I would appear in the pick lists, etc.
True, but you can minimize the intrusion of the appearance of these 'dummy' people by use of Flags and Name Styles for their sort names, among other things. I have many 'dummy' people in my projects and have found ways that work for me. As for indexes to your main report, you can also use the 'book' feature of TMG reports to create your main report using a flag to limit the people to 'real' people followed immediately with a second report of only your 'dummy' people.

Just a few ideas to think about so you don't totally dismiss the concept of 'dummy' people,