Shaundm

Expanded picklist does not show persons name anymore

My expanded picklist does not shows the persons name even though the box is checked under options. How do i reset this? I think it must have been dragged to a smaller width or something.

Thanks

It should be to the left of the Person ID column. When you put your cursor at the left of the ID column it should change to a double-headed arrow. When it does, hold down your left mouse button and drag it to the right. The Name column should then show. Alternatively, do you have a scroll bar showing at the bottom of the columns? Perhaps you are scrolled too far to the right to see the Name?

I don't have the scroll bars at the bottom neither can I get the arrow to drag to the right to show the persons name (it just drags the current boxes wider). The box is definately checked also to show the persons name but its still not showing. Any other ideas?

I can't work at the moment!

Thanks

I don't have the scroll bars at the bottom neither can I get the arrow to drag to the right to show the persons name (it just drags the current boxes wider). The box is definately checked also to show the persons name but its still not showing. Any other ideas?

I can't work at the moment!

Thanks

Shaun,

not to see a scroll bar at the bottom of the columns to be displayed is OK. It just indicates that the overall size of the "Expanded Picklist" window itself is wide enough to display all of the columns selected.

As you know the Expanded Picklist can be used/displayed in two variants:

1) in "Column Mode" - were columns like: Person Name, Person ID, Reference, Birth, Death etc. etc. will be shown and

2) as "Event List" - were only two colums (Person Name plus Person ID) will be shown on the left

Question 1: which of the outlined variants above do you use?

Question 2: in case you use "Column Mode" could you please click on the button "Event List" and tell us whether you see the Person name column then?

As Vera correctly states the lack of a scroll bar at the bottom of the column display area within the Expanded Picklist window only means you have very few columns checked to display and the Expanded Picklist window is large enough to show them all.

Hmmm... I am confused. Vera's questions are appropriate, but I assumed that you were in Column mode since that is the only mode where the Options list allows you to check the box to show the persons name. If you are in Column mode one of your buttons on the Expanded Picklist should be "Event List" which, if clicked, would change you to Event mode.

You say that "it just drags the current boxes wider". But that does not make sense. I suggested that you "put your cursor at the left of the ID column". Perhaps that is not clear. I mean for you to put the cursor inside the area in the Expanded Picklist window where all the columns are displayed and directly next to but to the left of the Person ID heading. If you are outside the column display area and at the edge of the Expanded Picklist window and drag you will simply resize the entire Expanded Picklist window, don't do that. If the cursor is inside the column display area to the left of the Column ID heading you should then attempt to drag to the right to expose the Person Name column that should be to the left of the Person ID column.

Sorry if I was unclear. Could you try that? I feel sure your own suspicions are correct and that the Person Name column "must have been dragged to a smaller width". This is the way to drag it back to a larger width.

picklist.png

Shaun -

I"ve attached a screenshot showing where you should be looking for the column header line. The line may be hard up against the side of the window, but if you get close to it your cursor will turn into a double-headed arrow so you can drag the line to the right.

Virginia

post-23-1228236838_thumb.png

Shaun -

I"ve attached a screenshot showing where you should be looking for the column header line. The line may be hard up against the side of the window, but if you get close to it your cursor will turn into a double-headed arrow so you can drag the line to the right.

Virginia

Hi

Thats where I am trying to click to expand. But I end up grabbing the edge of the whole window and making that wider and still not showing the person column. I'll try again tonight and move the mouse very very slowly. I did an ungrade from v6.9 to v6.12 and it may have happened when I did the upgrade for some reason.

Thanks for your help. We'll get there in the end.

I've tried finding the drag arrow but it does not appear, even moving the mouse very very slowly hoping to pick it up, I'm in column mode. When in the events lists the people column is there. Any other ideas how to show my person column in event mode?

Thanks

Shaun -

The widths for those columns are stored in the app.ini file in the Program files location in v6 (you are using v6, right? ). You can open that file in Windows Explorer and correct the numbers.

If v6 - and while TMG is closed - open the app.ini file in a text editor like Notepad and find the [Picklist] section. You can use Ctrl-F to find [Picklist]. The value for either 'Less1=' or 'More1=' is going to be very small - single digit or teens probably. Change that low number to 150 and save the file.

You might want to make a copy of the app.ini file for a backup before making the change. Let us know if you are using v7 because the app.ini file in that case is stored with the User Program Data Files, not in Program Files.

Virginia

app.ini file in the Program files location in v6

C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist

while TMG is closed - open the app.ini file in a text editor like Notepad and find the [Picklist] section.

That TMG is closed is absolutely essential.

And like Virginia already said: use a text editor (i.e. Notepad, Write, TextPad) and not Word!

The value for either 'Less1=' or 'More1=' Change that to 150 and save the file.

Please also verify that 'Column1=YES' in the [Picklist] section shows up in the app.ini

Looks like my settings are OK but its still not there? I'm using v6.12. This is strange. Its the column mode that it is not showing the person in. The vent list mode is fine. Anything else to try?

[Picklist]

Less1=194

Less2=43

Less3=86

Less4=96

Less5=92

Less6=72

Less7=50

Less8=50

Less9=211

Less10=184

Less11=118

More1=166

More2=129

More3=50

More4=50

More5=50

More6=50

More7=50

More8=50

Column1=YES

Column2=YES

Column3=NO

Column4=YES

Column5=YES

Column6=NO

Column7=NO

Column8=NO

Column9=YES

Column10=YES

Column11=YES

ColorFather=No

ColorMother=No

ColorSpouse=No

ShowNP=Yes

EVTBOXWidth1=137

EVTBOXWidth2=144

EVTBOXWidth3=461

frmsimplepicklistTop=0

frmsimplepicklistLeft=0

frmsimplepicklistHeight=409

frmsimplepicklistWidth=585

frmsimplepicklistState=0

grdPLColumnWidth1=21

grdPLColumnWidth2=199

grdPLColumnWidth3=60

grdPLColumnWidth4=86

grdPLColumnWidth5=75

grdPLColumnWidth6=55

grdPLColumnWidth7=46

grdPLColumnWidth8=75

frmnameselTop=34

frmnameselLeft=237

frmnameselHeight=568

frmnameselWidth=984

Shaun -

I'm baffled. The numbers are good. When TMG opens, it will look to the app.ini for those parameters. Only thing I can think of is if TMG is finding another copy of the app.ini. Did anything else change besides upgrading from v6.9 to v6.12 - new computer or operating system? Is your v6 installed in the default location and you don't have a second copy, or remnants, on the computer?

Virginia

Now I am really confused. I copied your settings and pasted them into my app.ini for Version 6 and had no problems.

What exact version of Version 6 are you using? The version I left on my computer for testing was Version 6.12.

As Virginia suspected, just to be sure that you are really looking at the actual app.ini that is being used by the program. Close the program then go to that file, and using a text editor (e.g. Notepad, but not Word) change one line and save it.

Change "Less2=43" to "Less2=143" (but obviously without the quotes), then save and exit the text editor.

Now open the program and see if this makes any difference other than to make the Person ID column bigger, but make sure that the Person ID column is bigger.

I am clutching at straws here, but we will not abandon you! We will keep trying to come up with suggestions until something works.

My next suggestion would be to reinstall your Version 6 program, but lets wait a bit.

Hi

I tried the whole process again from scratch and the setting was 0, I changed it up to 150 and all is OK now. Its very strange that the setting was showing that it was OK but not actually working. I had even tried restarting the machine and had the same effect. For future users, I disabled all settings so that they showed 0, then edited through the app.ini file, which made it all work!

Thanks for all your help.

Shaun

Shaun,

Not sure how it got set to zero, but that was clearly the problem. Any Less or More column set to zero in the app.ini will not show even if the Column setting is checked Yes. The Yes is telling TMG to try to show the column but to allocate a width of zero for it so nothing shows. None of the More or Less values should ever be zero for this reason. We were confused because you posted non-zero values.

Glad to hear you finally got it to work. :D

Glad to hear you finally got it to work. :D

Me Too!!! Thanks again. Seemed that in the end a few restarts of the machine were required...