Robert Jacobs

Endnote superscripts?

I am trying to prepare a journal report using end notes. The report is to be written in the "Word 2000 or higher"

format. The numbers for the notes are appropriately smaller, but not superscripted. The font sheet options for that report doesn't offer "superscript" as an option.

Operator error or bug?

I've tried to figure out a simple way of converting all those numbers to superscript in Word, but there doesn't seem to be one short of converting each one manually.

When footnotes rather than end notes are sent to Word the numbers are appropriately superscripted. Is the Word's doing or TMG's?

I'll appreciate any assistance.

formerprof

Bump. I'm still hoping to find a way to have the end-note citation numbers in the text of report sent to Microsoft Word be superscripted. I can't be the only one who has faced this problem . . .

IF TMG as written can't do it then I would like to see this added to the wish list . . .

Thanks to all for any suggestions.

formerprof

The citation numbers have always been superscripted for me irrespective of whether footnotes or endnotes are used (I almost always use endnotes). Try resetting the report definition.

Hmmm... I just created a Journal Report with endnotes and sent it to MS Word and all my end-note citation numbers both in the text and in the endnotes section are superscripted. I "believe" that the format of these codes are controlled within Word, but I cannot find in either Word or TMG how to make them either superscripted or non-superscripted. I am not being much help, but wanted to note that I do not see this issue. Are you viewing your Word document in print mode?

Dear Jim & Michael,

Thank you all. Resetting the report definition did the trick. I also tried a little test to see if monkeying with the fonts made a difference and found that changing the font for the exponents from the Arial 8 default to Times Roman did NOT mess up the superscripting. Thanks so much. I continue to appreciate TMG and the help & information so readily available on this site.

That said, may I indulge in in a new septuagenarian's crotchet? The title of the end notes is "Endnotes." I would prefer "Notes." The reader already knows that they are at the end. "Endnotes" is both redundant and inelegant.

Good wishes to all.

formerprof

I think you may change the title of the endnotes in the Endnotes Report "Options / General" tab.

While that it true for the Endnotes report, it had no effect on, for example, a Journal or an Individual Narrative sent to Word.

That said, may I indulge in in a new septuagenarian's crotchet? The title of the end notes is "Endnotes." I would prefer "Notes." The reader already knows that they are at the end. "Endnotes" is both redundant and inelegant.

I'd never thought of that before, but it makes sense to me now that you mention it.

Users can "fix" that, but it's not simple. You have to use an alternate Language, so you can change "Endnotes" to simply "Notes." Not worth the trouble unless you are already using an alternate Language for other reasons, as some are.

You can, of course, change it in the report if you send it to a word processor.