Zapnyou

Citation Detail [CD] for Source Element

I'm having problems with my one of my source elements, specifically in the citation details area. All the other CDs work fine in my Source & Reference notes, except for my Bibliography where I added [CD6] & [CD7]. I can't get it to insert the information.

Anyone see what I have missed or left out?

Thanks!

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

[COMPILER], compiler. "[TITLE]." Database. [iTAL:][REPOSITORY][:ITAL]. : [CD6]<, [CD7]>.

CITATION DETAIL:

1794 - b1860||March 12, 2006||Felicity Jannot Deville||Rapides Parish||McManus||2006||No visible stones for this burial. Information came from Audrey C. Vandersypen.||

I'm having problems with my one of my source elements, specifically in the citation details area. All the other CDs work fine in my Source & Reference notes, except for my Bibliography where I added [CD6] & [CD7]. I can't get it to insert the information.

Anyone see what I have missed or left out?

Thanks!

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

[COMPILER], compiler. "[TITLE]." Database. [iTAL:][REPOSITORY][:ITAL]. : [CD6]<, [CD7]>.

CITATION DETAIL:

1794 - b1860||March 12, 2006||Felicity Jannot Deville||Rapides Parish||McManus||2006||No visible stones for this burial. Information came from Audrey C. Vandersypen.||

Citation details can only be used in Full Footnotes and Short Footnotes. Bibliographies do not use citation details...Keep in mind that a bibliography can refer to multiple citations using the source thus cannot use citation details as it wouldn't know which one to use...

The Source Comments on the Source Definition Supplemental Tab is the place designed within TMG for information about the source itself. The [CD] elements are intended to be unique to each of the possibly many references to this source. (Think of a source like a book, and being able to have multiple citations, where each [CD] identifies the specific page in the book for this citation.) I don't remember whether any of the default Source Types include the [MEMO] element, but you can include it in a custom Source Type template. You can even split the Source Comments into parts and use the elements [MEMO1], [MEMO2], ... [MEMO9] should you desire. The new Reminder feature would probably be a good idea for such a custom Source Type.

Hope this gives you ideas,

The Source Comments on the Source Definition Supplemental Tab is the place designed within TMG for information about the source itself. The [CD] elements are intended to be unique to each of the possibly many references to this source. (Think of a source like a book, and being able to have multiple citations, where each [CD] identifies the specific page in the book for this citation.) I don't remember whether any of the default Source Types include the [MEMO] element, but you can include it in a custom Source Type template. You can even split the Source Comments into parts and use the elements [MEMO1], [MEMO2], ... [MEMO9] should you desire. The new Reminder feature would probably be a good idea for such a custom Source Type.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael,

Thank you. I forgot all about the Source Definition Supplemental Tab area. I was trying to do it like Mills suggested in her Evidence Explained book and just started adding CDs. I will go back and redo it and add the "year" in the template and not as a citation detail. As for the other CD, you are right, this type of information should not be in the Bibliography but in the Source Definition Supplemental Tab area. Thanks for your other suggestions too. You have given me some great ideas. And thank you for replying so quickly!

Z.