Peter Tarkkonen

Questions about lat/long codes

I also use SecondSite and now have found a small annoying issue with TMG.

It is a bit difficult to explain but let me try with example

In TMG I have locations like:

House1, City, County

House2, City, County

and City, County (if House is not know)

etc.

These houses are separated in all sources so if somebody was born in House1 and died in House1, it was really the same location. From genealogy point of view very valuable info.

However, where House1 was and where House2 was, is in most cases not exactly know. So I gave them same lat/long codes cause they were located very near of each other.

If in SecondSite these Houses are in same map, map pointers will occur in exactly same place in map and nobody can see that there is 2 map pointers.

This map pointer over each other was solved by offseting lat/long codes a little bit (=I gave them a little bit different lat/long codes). Everything from SS maping point of view was solved.

But this offseting caused searching problem in TMG.

The problem: In tag entry window when serching CITY level, all locations which match to this City-County will show up. And there is many (in some cases over 20) because they have different lat/long codes. And it is very difficult to find out which one is correct.

When I had same lat/long code to all different Houses, this City-County showed only once.

I do not know how to solve it. Ofcause removing all lat/codes will be an easy answer, but then I loose SS map feature.

Is there a way to make/setup TMG in tag entry window to show these same City-County places only once, even lat/long codes are different?

Thank you!

Peter

PS. I have found Google Earth easy to find lat/long codes.

If you only enter City, County but add a different LatLong each time, you are creating multiple unique place records... all of which will show up in the Master Place List or the F2 list.

If you don't know the exact house location, enter a name for the house in the Detail field so that each place record will be visibly different.

Peter,

I am not sure I understand completely.

You have multiple addresses of the form "HouseN, City, County". You originally assigned them the same LatLong values because you wanted them to appear on an SS map. Unfortunately, using the same LatLong value meant that all the map markers were in the same place, one on top of the other.

Next, you changed the LatLong values slightly. This solved the SS Map problem because now the markers are not in the same place, but now there is an issue in TMG: when you search for places, there are many entries in the list. I am not sure where you are "searching for place" (I suspect it is when entering place information while adding or editing an event) and I am not sure why seeing multiple places is a bad thing. The houses were in different places, and so they are not the same place.

It sounds like you want the different places to be treated as the same place in some cases and as different places in other cases and I don't know how the software can do that.

Do I understand correctly?

If you only enter City, County but add a different LatLong each time, you are creating multiple unique place records... all of which will show up in the Master Place List or the F2 list.

If you don't know the exact house location, enter a name for the house in the Detail field so that each place record will be visibly different.

Jim,

to avoid multible locations is one of those things I want to avoid.

It was so difficult for me to explain. Sorry about my language.

I have 4 places is systems:

House1, City, County, Lat/long1

House2, City, County, Lat/Long2

House3, City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

This 4th one is needed if house is not known.

Then:

In tag entry screen if I click City field and push F2, the list will look like:

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

I do not know which one to pick. Only difference is lat/long code!

Peter

In tag entry screen if I click City field and push F2, the list will look like:

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

I understand exactly what you are saying. And as I said, each of these is a unique place record. And there is no way to avoid this.

You can't avoid multiple locations but you can avoid multiple locations which you can't tell apart.

Follow my recommendation above.

If you don't want the house name to appear in output, add an exclusion marked ('-') as the first character.

Use some standard when creating the fictional house names so that it is easy to create unique names and so that they sort for easy selection.

Peter,

I am not sure I understand completely.

You have multiple addresses of the form "HouseN, City, County". You originally assigned them the same LatLong values because you wanted them to appear on an SS map. Unfortunately, using the same LatLong value meant that all the map markers were in the same place, one on top of the other.

Next, you changed the LatLong values slightly. This solved the SS Map problem because now the markers are not in the same place, but now there is an issue in TMG: when you search for places, there are many entries in the list. I am not sure where you are "searching for place" (I suspect it is when entering place information while adding or editing an event) and I am not sure why seeing multiple places is a bad thing. The houses were in different places, and so they are not the same place.

It sounds like you want the different places to be treated as the same place in some cases and as different places in other cases and I don't know how the software can do that.

Do I understand correctly?

John,

you understood the problem correctly and the point with SS also.

I hope my reply to Jim clarified a bit.

Peter

Jim,

Places in system:

City, County, Lat/Long4

If I click City field and push F2, the list will look like (=no houses are listed and can not which to choose):

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

If I click Address level (=house) and push F2, the list will look like (=no City, County place is listed at all)

Peter

If I click City field and push F2, the list will look like (=no houses are listed and can not which to choose):

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

OK. Sorry. There is no way around that.

The F2 list is a list of the sets of available place parts at that level. So at the City level, those are the sets of place parts available and will always display in the list.

You could add something unique (such as the identifier house name that I recommended) to a higher lever field such as the Temple field if you don't use it and enter an exclusion marker as the lead character so that the field is only used as an identifier in the F2 list.

Jim

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

The F2 list is a list of the sets of available place parts at that level. So at the City level, those are the sets of place parts available and will always display in the list.

You could add something unique (such as the identifier house name that I recommended) to a higher lever field such as the Temple field if you don't use it and enter an exclusion marker as the lead character so that the field is only used as an identifier in the F2 list.

Jim

Thank you a lot Jim, at least now I know

Peter

City, County, Lat/long1

City, County, Lat/Long2

City, County, Lat/Long3

City, County, Lat/Long4

Jim

Jim,

I have one idea, but I suppose it is more to wishlist again.

When using F2-list, could list show all levels. However, searching is done on level which list was opened from.

Maybe this will cause some other issue, but just a tought.

Peter

That would be confusing since data is only added starting with the current level.

Use the work-around that I suggested and you'll have no difficulty distinguishing the data.

City, County, Lat/long1, -House1

City, County, Lat/Long2, -House2

City, County, Lat/Long3, -House3

City, County, Lat/Long4, -House4