John K

Repeating citations

I just noticed a problem with the endnotes for one of my reports. There is a family of four sons, and for each of them I have cited the same source for both the name and the birth date. The endnotes for the birth dates work fine. However, for each of the sons, the endnote for the name repeats itself three times (separated by semicolons - since I have selected "combine consecutive endnotes"). (When I do not select this option, the names are each followed by three consecutive numbers, leading to three identical endnotes for each name.)

I get the same result whether I print to Word or Word Perfect, so it does not appear to be a word processing error.

I did check on the tag entry page for "Name-Var," and made sure that I do not reference the source three times for each name. The citation is listed only one time, and the area above the list of citations says "1 citation."

I actually deleted the applicable citation for one of the names. When I printed a new report the result was that the name was followed by just two consecutive numbers, leading to two identical endnotes.

There must be a hidden reference to citations for these names - can anyone tell me how to find them and remove them?

The additional citations are coming from the two parent relationship tags (one for name, one for father, one for mother). You have two options. Don't add citations to relationship tags unless necessary. The other option is to unselect the 'Include relationship sources' option on the report Options / Sources tab.

Another option is to leave your citations on the Relationship tags but to exclude those citations. You can exclude a citation either by putting a dash '-' in front of the source number in the Citatiion screen, or right-click the citation in the Tag Entry screen and select "Exclude this citation". Then in your report Options on the Sources tab you can choose whether to show or not show these excluded citations.

I answered by own question - apparently when I "Add a Person" and insert a citation for the birth and death information that I supply, the same citation is also added for the father-son and mother-son relationships.