rlgleason51

focus group of ancesters

I created a focus group of my ancesters that I plan on exporting via gedcom to familytreeDNA. I ran the list of people report to view the result and I am somwhat satisfied although I'm sure I'll have to do some tweaking.

Is ther anyway to control the sort order other than ID, surname and given name? I would prefer sort by date of birth because I would like the output to be displayed in tree view afer uploading.

Also, is there anyway to view the focus group other than list of peole report? Or do I have to send the report to another project for additional viewing and tweaking?

Or, am I approaching this the wrong way?

Thanks.

The only built-in way to view a Focus Group is in the Focus Group window. But as you found you can run a variety of reports based on the Focus Group. I'd think the one you have used - the List of People - is generally the most useful.

You can sort the List of People report by any field that appears in the output. So, if you add primary birth date to the output, you can then sort on that.

You can set an Accent to mark everyone in the Focus Group, and then use the various navigation tools to view those that are marked. This would have the advantage of leaving those unmarked in view, so you might recognize anyone who is omitted in error.

You could use the Focus Group to control a List of People Report, then use the Secondary Output of that report to create a separate project and review them in the new Project if that seems important.

To be clear, while the sort order of the List of People report can be controlled by the output columns, you can't control the sort order of the exported GEDCOM.

To be clear, while the sort order of the List of People report can be controlled by the output columns, you can't control the sort order of the exported GEDCOM.

Thanks Terry and Jim. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve deeper into this. I'm trying to include only bare bones data in the gedcom, plus I've never created one before (come to think of it - never created another dataset either).