Attempting to run a List of People report in order to change a flag, output suppressed.

The report has been running quite happily but certainly I've now started getting "No printer is installed so the document could not be constructed".

The printer is set in TMG to Windows Default. Control Panel confirms that there is a default printer set up.

Has anyone got any ideas?

In TMG, on the report definition screen > Properties, try setting the printer to a specific printer. TMG needs a printer driver in order to format the report and apparently it is not finding it with the 'default printer' selected.

Virginia

In TMG, on the report definition screen > Properties, try setting the printer to a specific printer. TMG needs a printer driver in order to format the report and apparently it is not finding it with the 'default printer' selected.

Virginia

I'm afraid it's not as simple as that.

1. In Printer Setup, a specific printer is set, not the Windows default. The program remembers this setting.

2. In Reports...List of People, I have set the report's output to "Print Preview". In the "Properties" options on the Report Definition Screen, I have again selected a specific printer (surely this step should not be necessary?).

3. The setting in (2) above is not remembered and has to be set again each time. This is surely not right?

4. In these circumstances, the report works.

5. If I carry out steps (2) and (3) again and then change the report option to "Suppress output", the report works.

6. However, on subsequent attempts the report produces the "No printer installed" message.

7. The only way to get it to work is to cancel the "Suppress output" option and repeat all the above steps.

I hope this provides a taste of the mess that things are in.

You shouldn't need to do any of that.

Make sure that Windows has a printer set as default printer and change the printer in File / Printer Setup... to Windows default.

You should reset the report definition to default by clicking the [Delete] button on the report definition screen (in case something in the existing report defintion is blocking things).

Then try again and see what happens.

You might also mention what printer you have set as the Windows default printer.

I have checked Control Panel (again) and the default printer is HP Deskjet 5600 as it should be.

I have reset TMG Printer Setup to Windows default.

I have deleted and recreated the report (without suppressing output). Again "No printer is installed...".

On the report definition screen, I now click Properties and specifically set the HP Deskjet 5600. The report now works.

I reload the report and run it but again "No printer is installed".

Click Properties and the HP Deskjet is selected (it's remembered that bit). Click OK. Click Create Report and it works!

It seems that it will not work unless you click properties in the report definition screen.

I am getting mightily fed up with TMG.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Peter,

locate the "rpt" file of the report you're trying to print on your computer.

Open it in a text editor (like Textpad, Notepad or Write).

Locate in that text file the lines dealing with the printer settings:

[Printerinfo]

printertype=

Orientation=

Copy them and provide this information in your next reply so we can see which information is saved in the Report Definition File.

Occasionally, the printer settings for inkjet printers will cause output issues. Virginia might have some ideas on that.

I would also contact Support since they might have encountered this issue and have better ideas.

support@whollygenes.com

Peter -

In your first message, you indicated that the report had been running successfully and the problem just started. Was there a change in your setup?

Could there be an Administrator issue with saving the printer setting in TMG Properties? How are you running v7?

Virginia

Could there be an Administrator issue with saving the printer setting in TMG Properties? How are you running v7?

Virginia

Virginia,

in case that didn't change in the meantime Peter runs TMG under WinXP.

From previous experience I've learned that there are several users/user accounts on his machine having different rights:

some being real Administrator accounts and some being "normal users" having Administrator privileges which makes a big difference.

So I would say -which is a pure assumption of course :unsure: - that everything may have worked just fine as long as the "real Administrator" was in play and that the inconvenience/issue started when Peter tried to run the report using one of his "other users".

So I would say -which is a pure assumption of course :unsure: - that everything may have worked just fine as long as the "real Administrator" was in play and that the inconvenience/issue started when Peter tried to run the report using one of his "other users".

This is not so. I consistently run TMG from my normal account using "run as administrator". I don't want to do it that way, it's the only way I have been able to get TMG to work. I use XP Pro

I am not aware of having changed anything that might cause these symptoms.