I understand your frustration, because you know it doesn't work, but you can't figure out how to describe the issue so that Jim can understand so that it can get fixed.

Evelyn edited her custom tags and corrected the issue.

There is nothing to fix. The tag type name in the tag type table is determined by the English (US) name. When you create a custom tag type in any language other than English (US), you always need to edit the English (US) view to make sure that the label is consistent between all data sets where the custom tag type is used.

Jim wrote:

When you create a custom tag type in any language other than English (US), you always need to edit the English (US) view to make sure that the label is consistent between all data sets where the custom tag type is used.

This may be so but it is not made clear on screen. There is no notification that a tool bar button is always linked to the USA name of a tag. There should definitely be warnings. Unlike users who create or use their own languages as an alternative within the USA edition, those of us who use the UK version work without reference to USA English and do not "see" a USA language screen.

I began to experience this problem on 11 December 2008 when I made my first tool bar. In March another UK user reported a problem and I decided to contact tech help. Another month passed before I responded to this thread. I am immensely grateful to Jim and to Virginia too for helping me get to the root of this problem where TMG tech people failed.

It is correct that this problem will not occur unless one uses the same layout and tool bar across several Projects in the UK edition. I use one layout and one toolbar for all my Projects and had problems from the start.

It will also not occur (I think) unless the user of several projects creates a new tag by copying a pre-existing one. This might not be the recommended procedure, but, as others have shown, it is sometimes instinctive e.g. for a UK user to create a 1911 census Tag by copying and renaming the Wholly Genes UK tag for the Census of 1901. And I am not the only one to create a new custom Research Notes tag by copying the Notes Tag.

It should be noted that dated Census Tags do not exist in the USA edition so a UK user is unlikely to imagine the existence of a USA language version which needs to be corrected.

I feel it really important that the Tech people at Wholly Genes should take this problem on board, and provide specific warnings of any function in the UK edition which remains dependent on the US language version. It seems that in spite of scattered complaints, they had not really been aware that tool bars were proving a frustration to several UK users nor investigated in the depth that Virginia and Jim were willing to do for me.

I am truly grateful to Jim who has brought 4 months of misery to an end.

Evelyn