JohnR

Filtering a filtered list

I don't understand how to filter an already filtered and saved list. As soon as I load the saved list and clear the filter screen in order to enter the new criteria the filter then operates on the complete database and not on the filtered list.

I don't understand how to filter an already filtered and saved list. As soon as I load the saved list and clear the filter screen in order to enter the new criteria the filter then operates on the complete database and not on the filtered list.

I don't believe you filter a filter list. If you want to filter on mulitple criteria you have to combine the criteria into one filter...

If you use the first filter to set a flag, then you can use subsequent filters to refine the group that has a given flag setting by adding to or removing people with that particular flag setting.

I use this technique to set my Second Site flag by creating a base set of people with the first List of People run and several subsequent List of People runs with different filters to set the flag for additional people based on those who already have the flag setting.

While you were unclear in what you were asking, both Paul and Jim are correct. When you say "load the saved list" and then "clear the filter screen" are you talking about loading an existing filter into the Project Explorer (PE)? or loading a filter into a Focus Group? or choosing a defined filter for a filtered group on a Report definition? While the details of each are a bit different, in any of these cases if you "clear" the defined filter criteria then whatever you now define will operate on the complete database. However, if after you load the filter you then "modify" that filter by adding further criteria as "AND" with a possible need for some parentheses, then the entire filter will still operate on the complete database but have the effect of filtering the filtered list. Otherwise, follow Jim's advice to duplicate the original filter to define a filtered group in a List of Persons report and set the Secondary Output of that report to set a flag to a specific flag value for these people. Then whether you are using the PE or a Focus Group or another report, your first filter criteria can be the value of the flag and further criteria can be "AND" with this flag.

Hope this gives you ideas,