As far as I know, there is no way to enter all 76 markers in a structured way. If you use the 67-marker test, you could enter any markers missing from that test in the comment field and when/if it becomes possible to record the other markers you could move those values. Probably not what you wanted to hear...

As far as I know, there is no way to enter all 76 markers in a structured way. If you use the 67-marker test, you could enter any markers missing from that test in the comment field and when/if it becomes possible to record the other markers you could move those values. Probably not what you wanted to hear...

It also seems as if you cannot edit a prior entry either. For example, if you received your first 12 markers and enter them then you have to create a new panel to enter the next 13 or 25 markers because you cannot go back and edit the intial results that you entered. It seems to make better sense to me to have all the marker results in one place rather than having a separate record for each set of results.

That makes no sense. The values that you enter can be edited. If you add some values, you can always edit the fingerprint and edit the existing values or add values for additional markers.

The problem with the Y-DNA fingerprints is that they are an ever-changing target with the companies constantly adding new markers and even adding markers to defined tests with no documentation. I guess that the Y-DNA templates need to be replaced with a generic template so that users can add whatever markers they wish. Another alternative would be making the marker column editable after a fingerprint is created using the pre-designed templates.

That makes no sense. The values that you enter can be edited. If you add some values, you can always edit the fingerprint and edit the existing values or add values for additional markers.

The problem with the Y-DNA fingerprints is that they are an ever-changing target with the companies constantly adding new markers and even adding markers to defined tests with no documentation. I guess that the Y-DNA templates need to be replaced with a generic template so that users can add whatever markers they wish. Another alternative would be making the marker column editable after a fingerprint is created using the pre-designed templates.

I think your latter suggestion might be the preferable one. I attempted to add markers to the 67 marker template but was unable to do so. Also, as group administrator for two DNA surname projects, I have members who will start with a 37 marker test and then upgrade to the 67 marker test and then go on to have certain advanced markers tested. Also, they might start with a Backbone SNP test and then go on to more definitive haplogroup testing. Personally, I would rather not have two or more records for one person's "fingerprint".

It also seems as if you cannot edit a prior entry either. For example, if you received your first 12 markers and enter them then you have to create a new panel to enter the next 13 or 25 markers because you cannot go back and edit the intial results that you entered. It seems to make better sense to me to have all the marker results in one place rather than having a separate record for each set of results.

You write as if you picked a 12 marker test to enter the first set of results even though more were coming.

It is much better to pick the template for the full set you think you'll use and just keep editing that as more results arrive.

With the one 67 marker test you can enter the panels as they arrive, rather than creating and entering a log entry for the 1st 12, then another for the 13-25 etc.

On any one test you can edit the prior panels, but you cannot add more panels, at least not as far as I can find.

I would support more flexibility for the templates. Currently I'm trying to work out what to do with an EthnoAncestry set I've been sent. Most, but not all, can be found on the Family Tree DNA 67 marker set.

I attempted to add markers to the 67 marker template but was unable to do so.

That's correct. You can't add markers.

Personally, I would rather not have two or more records for one person's "fingerprint".

In this case, the user should delete the original fingerprint and use a more appropriate template and re-enter the data.

While both of my suggestions (above) work for data entry, both present problems when it comes to data output with a TMG report or Second Site so it's not clear where to go with the template design and changing markers issue.

You write as if you picked a 12 marker test to enter the first set of results even though more were coming.

It is much better to pick the template for the full set you think you'll use and just keep editing that as more results arrive.

With the one 67 marker test you can enter the panels as they arrive, rather than creating and entering a log entry for the 1st 12, then another for the 13-25 etc.

On any one test you can edit the prior panels, but you cannot add more panels, at least not as far as I can find.

I would support more flexibility for the templates. Currently I'm trying to work out what to do with an EthnoAncestry set I've been sent. Most, but not all, can be found on the Family Tree DNA 67 marker set.

We've had the situation where someone originally ordered the 37 marker test. Then we found relevant identifying markers in the 37-67 upgrade panels, so the person was convinced to upgrade. Then we found relevant identifying advanced markers and the person was convinced to order that one/those ones.

We also have had the situation where a person originally tested by DNA Heritage was convinced to come over and be tested by FTDNA either for the 37 or 67 marker test. In the case of the 37 marker test, that adds 5 markers not included in the DNA Heritage 43 marker test.

So, I acknowledge and agree that if a person knows up front that they have ordered the 67 marker test, for example, that it is best to wait until all marker results are in. But the reality of the situation is that the testing does not always follow that pattern. There are many DNA projects that will offer funding support for a 12 marker test with the hopes of getting the person in the database and then later convincing them to pay for additional markers. The flexability to add markers, even beyond the 67 marker test of FTDNA, is needed.

Has anyone had a problem with bing able to access the Higher level templates that are supposed to be available in TMG 7? I see that we are supposed to have up to a 67 marker template for FtDNA. but I cannot access anyhitng above a 37 marker template.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Ron

Using TMG v7.04, I just selected and added a Family Tree DNA 67-marker template with no problem.

I have tried that, as well as replacing the DNA template files after Dorothy sent me a set. The only templates showing in the options for FtDNA are the 12, 25 and 37 marker tests. I only show about half the files listed in the help file (I think 12 total).

I have reinstalled TMG 7 after a complete uninstall, including registry entries. No effect.

Oh well, thanks anyway. I grabbed another package to work with the 67 markers tests until we can figure this out.

A reinstall will not replace the .DNA files that are in use so there is no point to a reinstall.

Where did you put the .DNA files that Dorothy sent you? They must go into the user program data folder.

See the Data File Storage topic in help.