Have difficulties to embedd HTML code in Journal report

I HAVE:

Output selected to HTML

Tag Sentence: <[M1]>

Tag Memo: For more information on this line, see [html:]<A HREF="http://www.abc.com">John'>http://www.abc.com">John Henry's Page</A>[:HTML]

Print out: ......For more information on this line, see <A HREF="http://www.abc.com">John Henry's Page</A>......

Please, what am I missing here?

Peter

Peter, try with [WEB:]http://www.abc.com;John Henry's Page[:WEB]

See the post Web Link in Individual Narrative Not Working

See also the help topic Web URLs and Email

Glenn,

actually my sample was from TMG Help and I could not make even that work. So I tought that I have been doing something wrong. Still thinking so but just cant see myself what is wrong.

Final purpose it to embedd Javascript to several Journals (Google Analytics I need to check if anybody is reading my Journals) but first I wanted to try somethinh more simple).

So I will make a tag with javascript and add that tag to all start-persons of each Journal. That way I could check if those reports are read.

I use WEB-code quite succesfully in sources and citations, propably close to 1.000 instances.

Peter

Have difficulties to embedd HTML code in Journal report

I HAVE:

Output selected to HTML

Tag Sentence: <[M1]>

Tag Memo: For more information on this line, see [html:]<A HREF="http://www.abc.com">John'>http://www.abc.com">John Henry's Page</A>[:HTML]

Print out: ......For more information on this line, see <A HREF="http://www.abc.com">John Henry's Page</A>......

Please, what am I missing here?

Peter

Additional to above. Made site with Second Site and output was correct ie. "For more information on this site, see John Henry's Page" where last three words is a link to www.abc.com

Final purpose it to embedd Javascript to several Journals (Google Analytics I need to check if anybody is reading my Journals) but first I wanted to try somethinh more simple).

So I will make a tag with javascript and add that tag to all start-persons of each Journal. That way I could check if those reports are read.

:lookaround: Interesting, I probably would have added the GA script manually after generating the pages, but if you have a lot to do embedding in a tag seems a way to get it done quickly and automatically if the process doesn't break the script.

:lookaround: Interesting, I probably would have added the GA script manually after generating the pages, but if you have a lot to do embedding in a tag seems a way to get it done quickly and automatically if the process doesn't break the script.

Glenn,

tought that too but I have about 50 and lately have generated then several times a month.

I still wait reply from TMG makes is it even possible to make HTML to work as told in Help. As I said I copied the sample from Help and Second Site made it as supposed but TMG not.

And I dont know what I have done wrong or what should I test/change.

Peter

I still wait reply from TMG makes is it even possible to make HTML to work as told in Help. As I said I copied the sample from Help and Second Site made it as supposed but TMG not. And I dont know what I have done wrong or what should I test/change.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can easily replicate your symptoms simply using the example in TMG Help and the Sample project. It is clear that TMG is converting the '' and '=' symbols to the '<' etc. replacement text normally required to show those symbols as text in an HTML output. It should not do that inside the [html:] and [:HTML] codes, but clearly it does. As TMG Help, under the topic "HTML Embedded Codes" states:

"With the exception of these variables, all code that is bounded by "[html:]" and "[:HTML]" is output literally."

Unfortunately, that is not happening. I also verified that these symptoms have been reported to WhollyGenes as a bug, but since I am just a user like you I don't have any information when it may be fixed.

As Glenn noted, it does appear that the [WEB:] and [:WEB] codes work correctly for the Help example. For example,

[WEB:]http://www.abc.com;John Henry's Page[:WEB]

works correctly. Unfortunately, this does not solve your problem of wanting to put more significant HTML code (e.g. Javascript) in the report. As Glenn referenced, since the [WEB] codes will scan for a semicolon to split the text from the URL, any HTML or URL or text that contains a semicolon causes problems inside the [WEB] codes.

I have tried a variety of "workaround" tests and was unable to find anything to make this work. (I even found some that made it worse!) I fear that until this reported bug is fixed you may have to put something recognizable in your text (that does not include '' or '=' symbols) which you can easily find and post process to become the HTML code (Javascript) you desire.

Sorry, but I think that is reality for the time being.

I still wait reply from TMG makes is it even possible to make HTML to work as told in Help. As I said I copied the sample from Help and Second Site made it as supposed but TMG not. And I dont know what I have done wrong or what should I test/change.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can easily replicate your symptoms simply using the example in TMG Help and the Sample project. It is clear that TMG is converting the '<' and '>' and '=' symbols to the '<' etc. replacement text normally required to show those symbols as text in an HTML output. It should not do that inside the [html:] and [:HTML] codes, but clearly it does. As TMG Help, under the topic "HTML Embedded Codes" states:

"With the exception of these variables, all code that is bounded by "[html:]" and "[:HTML]" is output literally."

Unfortunately, that is not happening. I also verified that these symptoms have been reported to WhollyGenes as a bug, but since I am just a user like you I don't have any information when it may be fixed.

As Glenn noted, it does appear that the [WEB:] and [:WEB] codes work correctly for the Help example. For example,

[WEB:]http://www.abc.com;John Henry's Page[:WEB]

works correctly. Unfortunately, this does not solve your problem of wanting to put more significant HTML code (e.g. Javascript) in the report. As Glenn referenced, since the [WEB] codes will scan for a semicolon to split the text from the URL, any HTML or URL or text that contains a semicolon causes problems inside the [WEB] codes.

I have tried a variety of "workaround" tests and was unable to find anything to make this work. (I even found some that made it worse!) I fear that until this reported bug is fixed you may have to put something recognizable in your text (that does not include '<' or '>' or '=' symbols) which you can easily find and post process to become the HTML code (Javascript) you desire.

Sorry, but I think that is reality for the time being.

Michael,

thank you very much. This was not the good news, but more important, now I know where I stand. And dont waste my time making extra tests.

You really saved my time a lot (which I rather spend on studies than softwares :rolleyes: )

For TMG people: There could be a list somethere with allready reported and identified "bugs". Maybe a comment if it will be fixed in next release and some kind of time estimed (if any).

This way one can decide if to build work around or wait fix.

This is an issue which software people are a bit ashamed, but I have never seen any software which does not have bugs. And I can only assume most genealogist are not too much for technology. If something goes wrong with software, most people assume they did something wrong. And spend a lot of time to trying to fix it.

Thank you all for help!

Peter

You are welcome, Peter. Glad I could save you some time. As for a notice of whether/when a bug will be fixed, WhollyGenes has repeatedly made it clear that for many reasons they will not promise a fix or announce a time schedule for any bug fixes or new releases. In the modern legal world I guess I can understand their need to avoid such announcements. We users can simply rely on history, which has shown us that they do try to fix bugs in a timely manner, and new releases with new features appear pretty regularly. So we will all just have to be patient and hope.