jteets2

TMG V7 on Windows 7

I'm sure this has been addressed, but will the latest version (TMG7) of TMG work on Windows 7? On both 32-bit and 64-bit installations? I'm gettng ready to upgrade to Windows 7 and I'm not sure what to do.

Yes. With the x64 version, there is the same word processing output issue as with WinVista x64 and there is a PDF output issue. Hopefully, both x64 issues should be resolved in the next release.

Yes. With the x64 version, there is the same word processing output issue as with WinVista x64 and there is a PDF output issue. Hopefully, both x64 issues should be resolved in the next release.

Does that "word processing output issue" have anything to do with the problem I reported here ? It is very annoying not being able to use this facility at all, and I'm using WinXP sp3/Office 2003.

Does that "word processing output issue" have anything to do with the problem I reported here ? It is very annoying not being able to use this facility at all, and I'm using WinXP sp3/Office 2003.

You didn't state whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. If 32-bit, you should be able to output .RTF and .DOC files. If you are running 64-bit, you cannot output .RTF and .DOC files.

I'm sorry, but I cannot find that information. How do I see that? It's the Home Edition though.

The info I get is: "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)"

does it help ?

Look at the Properties screen for My Computer. That screen will tell you if the operating system is 64-bit. It's probably 32-bit and word processing output should work for you unless some other program is interferring.

If you haven't tried to reinstall TMG, you should do so. The TMG v7.04 full installer is here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

I reinstalled TMG v.7 right now, but the problem persists exactly the same. One thing I did not mention before is that the title of the error message says: "It is not possible to run 16 bit Windows programs". That really puzzles me...

The answer is that you apparently have run some sort of system optimizer or performance enhancer on your system and this software disabled 8+3 filename creation by the operating system. The consequence is that 16-bit code can no longer run on the operating system and that includes the word processing library used by TMG. This has happened to others.

First... Don't use that software again.

Your TMG user data folder should be OK.

You need to uninstall TMG7 and delete the remnant program folder.

You need to then delete the shared program data folder and the user program data folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

('username' should be replaced by your Windows user account name.)

'Delete the folder' means just that. Deleting only the folder contents won't work.

You then run the attached registry file to restore the system registry setting to the default (which re-enables 8+3 filename creation).

And then reinstall TMG7 using the exact same path that you originally used.

wp_fix.zip

Well... Jim, I'm sorry to say but after following that recipe - carefully and twice - the problem persists exactly the same.

Perhaps it is due to any other "thing" related to the software installed that may conflict with that part of TMG.

Two notes:

- I was not able to uninstall TMG (twice) using the Windows uninstaller. The error message is "Could not open install.log file". I had to do it the hard way and then repair the registry using appropriate software. That, of course, being the first step was well before running that wp_fix.

- All customizations were lost, but it would be a low price to pay if the problem was solved. Not being the case, I did a system restore using a restore point I had created, just in case...

Thank you anyway.

- I was not able to uninstall TMG (twice) using the Windows uninstaller. The error message is "Could not open install.log file".

That is also symptomatic of the 8+3 filename problem.

With the uninstall failure, all you needed to do was to delete the program folder and the shared program data folder. And then reinstall.

I was just being careful with deleting the user program data folder. The program customizations could be reset in Preferences in a minute or so.

You might try rebooting after the 'uninstall' before the reinstall. For some reason, it took a couple of people more than one try before this worked.

The registry fix using the .BAT file must be done before the reinstall.

Perhaps it is due to any other "thing" related to the software installed that may conflict with that part of TMG.

The problem is not a TMG-specific problem. The registry change in question would break all 16-bit software and even some 32-bit programs that require 8+3 filenames.

Since you have knowledge of sucessfull healing, I am not giving up... It has, however to be postponed to later this month because I will be out for 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.