kfeige

Importing a TMG v5 or v6 Project

I just purchased TMG v7 and I have old TMG files from a previous version that a friend gave to me. When I try to load this data up in TMG v7 I get the message "This project is from TMG version 5 or version 6. To transfer a TMG 5/6 project to TMG 7, you should first make a backup of the project in TMG 5/6 and then Restore the project in TMG 7."

The problem is that neither of us have TMG v5 or v6 anymore, just the data files, so we don't have a way of making a backup. Is there another way that I can pull this data into 7? Is there a trial download of TMG 5 or 6 that I could install temporarily to get the backup and restore it in 7?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

There is a 30-day free trial period, so the installer Jim pointed you to should install a version good for 30 days without a purchase. That should be plenty of time for you to create the backup you need.

You're welcome, Kevin. :)

Welcome to TMG. Feel free to ask any questions you have either here or on the TMG list on Rootsweb. There are often several ways to do things in TMG, and users here, and especially on the Rootsweb list, would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the various alternatives. You may also find some of the articles on my website (link below) helpful.

Terry said,

... There are often several ways to do things in TMG, ...

In this instance, it appears there is only one way. I thought TMG was backwards compatible, e.g. it would open any previous version. I too, have several older projects and am also getting this message. But now, it appears the older projects are useless, unreadable data unless I do as suggested. However, the terminology clearly suggests to me that it is an option, not a requirement, to wit: you should first make a backup of the project in TMG 5/6 and then Restore the project in TMG 7. The implication is that there is an alternative.

Is installing multiple versions of TMG the only way to access older TMG projects?

Roy

B)

TMG7 can import data sets from versions prior to version 5. But, as said above, not from versions 5 and 6. I would expect that most users made backups of each project, so those would be available to load into version 7. But if that is not the case, you either have to install ver 6 to make a backup, as Jim describes above, or contact Support to see if they can do that for you.