kaye

Version 7 TMG using Verson 7 Microsoft OS and OS

Please advise. Has anyone used Microsoft 7 operating system and the office suite Word 7 for producing reports? Just decendants and journal narrative.

If reports can be done in Word 7, will the people using older Word versions have any problem opening them via email attachment? ( This was a problem if Vista not set up properly I believe. I had a few people who had problems opening. I dont know why)

(out of topic) My Word files for reseach go back to Windows 95. Are there any problems in opening with Word 7.

Advice would be appreciated as my computer may be on the way to heaven.

regards

Kaye,

First, there is no "Word 7." The current version of Word in Word 2007. Word 2010 is currently in beta and should be out before long I understand.

Yes, I have used Windows 7 and Word 2007 to open reports created in Word format by TMG. Word 2007 has no problem opening current or old reports in Word format. If you save the report in the new .docx format which is Word 2007's native format, users of older versions of Word will have difficulty opening it. You can save them in the older .doc format, or you correspondents can download the free "translator" from Mircosoft to enable them to open documents in the new format.

If you get a new computer with a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to create reports in Word format from TMG. Solutions have been discussed at some length on this forum, and include buying a new system with a 32-bit version of Windows, doing without reports in Word format, keeping a copy of TMG on a system using 32-bit version of Windows and doing the reports from there, or installing "XP Mode" on you system and running TMG reports from there. Each of those options have their disadvantages. WG has announced that version 8 of TMG is under development, and will support reports to word processors on 64-bit systems.

Please advise. Has anyone used Microsoft 7 operating system and the office suite Word 7 for producing reports? Just decendants and journal narrative.

If reports can be done in Word 7, will the people using older Word versions have any problem opening them via email attachment? ( This was a problem if Vista not set up properly I believe. I had a few people who had problems opening. I dont know why)

(out of topic) My Word files for reseach go back to Windows 95. Are there any problems in opening with Word 7.

regards

I have made many reports using Windows 7 &TMG (TMG v.7 won't write word-processor reports when running under Win7 64 bit, but that's being fixed in v.8). OPnce the report has been made it is an ordinary Word file and can be e-mailed, copied, etc. I'm using Word 2007 and I have used Word 2003. To the best of my knowledge any of these versions of Word can convert and open files made by any of the earlier versions.

formerprof

regards

Hi Kaye,

From your message I gather you mean Word 2007?

Generally older versions of programs can not open newer programs data files unless the data file has been converted in some way to the older format.

One way for for people using older Word to open newer/older formats is for them to try the Word 97/2000 Converter for Word 6 and 95 Users or similar type of program from Microsofts website.

My recommendation are to save as a PDF document.

Or you can try to save the file in Word 2007 as a old a file version of Word (select "save as" then select from the "save as type" drop box the file format you want.)

Yes, there is a Word 7 which was also called Microsoft Word 95 it was included in MS-Office 95, I still have it installed on my old laptop with a lot of research files in that format and earlier!

Kaye,

First, there is no "Word 7." The current version of Word in Word 2007. Word 2010 is currently in beta and should be out before long I understand.

Yes, I have used Windows 7 and Word 2007 to open reports created in Word format by TMG. Word 2007 has no problem opening current or old reports in Word format. If you save the report in the new .docx format which is Word 2007's native format, users of older versions of Word will have difficulty opening it. You can save them in the older .doc format, or you correspondents can download the free "translator" from Mircosoft to enable them to open documents in the new format.

If you get a new computer with a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to create reports in Word format from TMG. Solutions have been discussed at some length on this forum, and include buying a new system with a 32-bit version of Windows, doing without reports in Word format, keeping a copy of TMG on a system using 32-bit version of Windows and doing the reports from there, or installing "XP Mode" on you system and running TMG reports from there. Each of those options have their disadvantages. WG has announced that version 8 of TMG is under development, and will support reports to word processors on 64-bit systems.

Thank you very much Terry. Yes I meant Word 2007. There is certainly a lot to consider. I thought there would have been a thread and expected to be referred to it.

You have actually provided a very apt summary of problems relevant to me as I really have to use Word reports as I intend to write my book in Word (then having a typesetter convert all the different numbered files into adobe into one pdf for the publisher) using some TMG repots in Word but manipulating the data and adding other larger chunks of information produced seperately in Word over the years so that it reads as a book. Currently I have "stored" lots of smaller bits of information as anecdotes and will incorporate these in context. Horror say the purists. I will also add in descendants charts for later generations. Thirdly I am currently getting people to update and check information I have so dont want to use pdf. So far the people contacted by email prefer to make alterations in the report. It is so much easier and the response rate is higher. So as you can see it is important to be able to use Word with TMG. Also the bit about capacity <system using 32-bit version >was valuable as I would not have given it any thought. Unfortunately I hope to be completed by April so need to make up my mind what to do now. Your information has been invaluable. Once again thanks.

I have made many reports using Windows 7 &TMG (TMG v.7 won't write word-processor reports when running under Win7 64 bit, but that's being fixed in v.8). OPnce the report has been made it is an ordinary Word file and can be e-mailed, copied, etc. I'm using Word 2007 and I have used Word 2003. To the best of my knowledge any of these versions of Word can convert and open files made by any of the earlier versions.

formerprof

That is good. many thanks. I think a couple of my "families" were not familiar with computers as I had no problem sending business document drafts to people on their home PCs as well as office PCs. I was using V4 and my reports had to be converted before I sent them which resulted with broken lines but that was ok. V4 suport up to win95. I will be changing back to V7 shortly. I noticed they tried to send me docx formatted file (as Terry mentoned not compatible).

Hi Kaye,

From your message I gather you mean Word 2007?

Generally older versions of programs can not open newer programs data files unless the data file has been converted in some way to the older format.

One way for for people using older Word to open newer/older formats is for them to try the Word 97/2000 Converter for Word 6 and 95 Users or similar type of program from Microsofts website.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...view=getnewpost.

Or you can try to save the file in Word 2007 as a old a file version of Word (select "save as" then select from the "save as type" drop box the file format you want.)

Yes, there is a Word 7 which was also called Microsoft Word 95 it was included in MS-Office 95, I still have it installed on my old laptop with a lot of research files in that format and earlier!

Sorry Sam - no I meant Word 2007. I think the converter came in a windows update as it uses it when I send my V4 reports (that use Word 95) to Word 2003. I havent had any trouble with opening my older files using XP3 Word 2003.

I dont want to use PDF as I want people to check the reports and make changes. As I explained above I need to be able to use TMG with Word 2007 with no hassles. I am ok at the moment but need to be aware of all the potential problems changing to Win 7 and Word 7 in relation to TMG V7 compatibility. From what I hear I can only hope nothing happens to my computer in the next few months.

I will keep the link re converting files in case I need to give it to anyone thanks.

Thank everyone I will keep an eye on the forum from now on as sure to be more on the subject and will find the older threads to this topic.

Just to add I hear you can keep XP3 on your computer as well as Win 7.

Kaye,

On the Word converter issue...

Until Word 2007, Word has used the .doc format for years, perhaps decades. The details have evolved over the years, but new versions of Word could aways open files from older versions, and for the most part, older versions could open files in the newer formats, in some cases with loss of information associated with newer features.

With Office 2007, MicroSoft introduced new file formats, including the .docx format for Word. Word 2007 can open files in either format, and can save files in either the new format or the old, and can even be set to always save in the old format for those who want to be sure their documents are compatible with users of older versions.

Users of older versions of Word cannot open documents saved in the .docx format with their existing setup. But Microsoft offers a free converter (comparable to the existing converters that have always been included to covert from formats of other programs, like WordPerfect) which users of older versions can download and install. If they do they can then open the new formats too.

Regarding creating reports in Word format with TMG on new computers...

I can't find the previous threads on that, so here are the basics. The report module in TMG7 cannot create reports to word processor formats on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. It works fine on systems running the 32-bit versions of Windows that we have been using for years. (As has been previously reported, when TMG 8 is available it will be fully compatible with 64-bit systems.)

We began to see some sales of 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, and many new systems being sold today are offered with 64-bit versions of Windows 7. But the 32-bit version is still widely available. Many experienced users have questioned the wisdom of average users buying 64-bit systems at this time. TMG's report writer is far from the only application that doesn't work on 64-bit. Not a few applications include modules that won't work on 64-bit, and if you have truly old programs you are fond of it may be impossible to get versions that will. Further, many older peripheral devices (printers, scanners, cameras, etc.) may not have 64-bit drivers available, or worse, they may claim they do but all the functions may not work in them. (Our relatively recent HP printer won't print more than one copy in double-sided mode.)

The main reason to consider a 64-bit system in my view is in order to use more than 4GB of RAM. 32-bit systems can use only a bit less than that. But 4GB is actually quite a lot - likely four times or even more than what your current system has.

So your simplest solution may be to buy a system with a 32-bit version of Windows.

It doesn't sound like it would work for you, but another solution is to keep a copy of TMG on an older computer (perhaps a laptop) that uses a 32-bit system, and run reports to Word on that.

Finally, yes, you can run Windows XP on a new computer running Windows 7. But it's not really a solution suitable for most users. First, you have to buy one of the pricer versions of Windows 7, then have to download and install the huge (free) files required. Then you have to keep in mind that you now have two versions of Windows to maintain on your system, and deal with confusing drive sharing issues. I wrote a detailed post on the TMG List on Rootsweb on 30 Nov 2009 with subject "TMG on 64-bit Windows 7" that outlines the issues. While it works somewhat for those technically inclined or motivated enough to go to the trouble, it's not a solution I'd recommend for most users.

Kaye,

On the Word converter issue...

Until Word 2007, Word has used the .doc format for years, perhaps decades. The details have evolved over the years, but new versions of Word could aways open files from older versions, and for the most part, older versions could open files in the newer formats, in some cases with loss of information associated with newer features.

With Office 2007, MicroSoft introduced new file formats, including the .docx format for Word. Word 2007 can open files in either format, and can save files in either the new format or the old, and can even be set to always save in the old format for those who want to be sure their documents are compatible with users of older versions.

Users of older versions of Word cannot open documents saved in the .docx format with their existing setup. But Microsoft offers a free converter (comparable to the existing converters that have always been included to covert from formats of other programs, like WordPerfect) which users of older versions can download and install. If they do they can then open the new formats too.

Regarding creating reports in Word format with TMG on new computers...

I can't find the previous threads on that, so here are the basics. The report module in TMG7 cannot create reports to word processor formats on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. It works fine on systems running the 32-bit versions of Windows that we have been using for years. (As has been previously reported, when TMG 8 is available it will be fully compatible with 64-bit systems.)

We began to see some sales of 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, and many new systems being sold today are offered with 64-bit versions of Windows 7. But the 32-bit version is still widely available. Many experienced users have questioned the wisdom of average users buying 64-bit systems at this time. TMG's report writer is far from the only application that doesn't work on 64-bit. Not a few applications include modules that won't work on 64-bit, and if you have truly old programs you are fond of it may be impossible to get versions that will. Further, many older peripheral devices (printers, scanners, cameras, etc.) may not have 64-bit drivers available, or worse, they may claim they do but all the functions may not work in them. (Our relatively recent HP printer won't print more than one copy in double-sided mode.)

The main reason to consider a 64-bit system in my view is in order to use more than 4GB of RAM. 32-bit systems can use only a bit less than that. But 4GB is actually quite a lot - likely four times or even more than what your current system has.

So your simplest solution may be to buy a system with a 32-bit version of Windows.

It doesn't sound like it would work for you, but another solution is to keep a copy of TMG on an older computer (perhaps a laptop) that uses a 32-bit system, and run reports to Word on that.

Finally, yes, you can run Windows XP on a new computer running Windows 7. But it's not really a solution suitable for most users. First, you have to buy one of the pricer versions of Windows 7, then have to download and install the huge (free) files required. Then you have to keep in mind that you now have two versions of Windows to maintain on your system, and deal with confusing drive sharing issues. I wrote a detailed post on the TMG List on Rootsweb on 30 Nov 2009 with subject "TMG on 64-bit Windows 7" that outlines the issues. While it works somewhat for those technically inclined or motivated enough to go to the trouble, it's not a solution I'd recommend for most users.

Thanks Terry, such a lot to consider. lets hope I last out for 6 months.

many thanks