EMTTT

Tag Type Data Entry Help

After playing around for a bit longer, I had an idea that maybe this tag was imported from my previous program (not TMG). I created a new TEST file with no data and started from scratch - Eye Color was not in the list created by TMG.

No, this is not a standard TMG Tag Type. From the Sentence it looks like a custom Tag Type someone might have created without creating a useful Sentence.

Am I correct in assuming that when an imported tag comes into TMG that I need to correct the sentence structure to suit my needs?

Not necessarily, but certainly in this case.

If I delete the Eye Color Tag, will the data associated with it be deleted as well?

You can't delete a Tag Type that is in use.

If I change a tag name, of existing data, to a different tag name will it assume the tag name sentence structure from the one I change it to? I found that I have several tags that are similiar to each other and need to combine them.

The Label of the Tag Type and the Sentence are completely independent. Changing the name of the Tag Type will not change the Sentence, but will change the Label of any existing Tags of that type. You cannot combine exiting Tag Types in TMG, but you could use John Cardinal's TMG Utility to change all the Tags of one Type to another, then delete the first Tag Type.

Is it typical for experienced users to use the Memo field for data when creating tags not included in the TMG tags by default?

I have few custom Tag Types that don't use the Memo.

You ask where should the colour of eyes be put for the sentence to read correctly. There are many ways of achieving what you want by playing with sentence structures. I would change the sentence to something like;

[P] was recorded as having <[M]> <[D]> <[L]>

and put the eye colour in the memo (M). For example in the memo you could put "blue eyes" or perhaps a bit more detail "blue eyes in his army record".

Hope this is useful

Les

Unless there was an actual need to trace a certain trait, like say a medical condition, I don't know if I'd create a custom tag for that trait. Instead I'd record that type of information in the memo field of the tag that more applied to the record I found the information in. For instance a WWI draft card, or a immunization record, or a elementary school permanent record...

The reason being that it makes for clunky reading.

John was born X. He married X. He had blue eyes. He and Sarah had X....

Or

John was born X. He married X. H registerd for the draft on X. According to his draft card he had blue eyes and dark hair. He lived at Rt. 2, Antioch, TN and was a farmer. He and Sarah had X....

The first example to me seems jarring. Why would you suddenly mention that someone had blue eyes in amongst the fact that they were born, married and had children?

But you can certainly do that if you want, but like other posters have said, to get the output you want, you are going to have to edit the sentence structure to read the way you want it to read.