Lloyd

Can't print using Windows 7 64-bit

Jim Byram has said that TMG7 doesn't support 64-bit for printing and so we have to wait for TMG8 to have that facility.

My question is: How do I print before then?

I have an old PC which I can rev up. I guess I could use that for printing. Is that the only way to go?

The restriction applies only to output to word processor files. You can create reports to screen and directly to printer, among other modes.

If you need word processor output, using another, 32-bit machine, is probably the best one for most users.

You can also spring for one of the higher priced versions of Windows 7 which allow you to install "XP Mode," then install another copy of TMG in that mode. This is a complex solution not to be generally recommended.

See my post on the TMG List for details.

Lloyd, have you tried generating a .pdf, opening the .pdf and then saving it as a .txt file? I have the free Adobe Reader. It has the ability to save a .pdf file as a .txt file. Not the most elegent work-around but maybe(?) the simplist.

Lloyd, have you tried generating a .pdf, opening the .pdf and then saving it as a .txt file? I have the free Adobe Reader. It has the ability to save a .pdf file as a .txt file. Not the most elegent work-around but maybe(?) the simplist.

TMG can generate a text file directly under the 64-bit operating systems. I'm not sure that there would be any formatting advantages by going through a .PDF conversion.

Robert

Lloyd's previous question was how to produce a file that could be edited in MS Word on an W7/64 machine. If TMG7 will produce a .txt file that can be opened in Word then there is no reason to produce a .pdf file. It, as you stated, is an extra step with no benefit.

I was under the impression that TMG would only produce a .pdf file under W7/64.

I was under the impression that TMG would only produce a .pdf file under W7/64.

You can't output the four types of reports that one would normally produce... Word, RTF, WordPerfect and HTML.

You can output various text files, PDF, Excel spreadsheets, etc.

Jim - output to Works also does not work.

I wouldn't think that any output that used the word processor library would work. That includes many obscure file formats that few or no people use.

Jim - output to Works also does not work.

I wouldn't think that any output that used the word processor library would work. That includes many obscure file formats that few or no people use.

Jim, I was only trying to point out that it's more than just the 4 types that TMG could not produce.