Sign in to follow this  
nbradley

Upgrade from V 4 to V 7

I know the last post has a similar header but it didn't actually deal with the issue. A local user has rung me asking for help to move from version 4 to version 7. I've hunted around this site for specific details on what I should do and what the "learning issues" will be for someone moving from V4 to V7 but I have obviously stuck in the wrong key words because I haven't found exactly what I wanted ... hence this post.

Studying the HELP it appears that I can import his V4 Project either directly or via his backup into V7 (I only started at V5 so my knowledge of V4 is zilch).

I'm also assuming that there wont be any problem running both V4 and V7 at the same time.

If my assumptions are correct then what I would like to be able to do is to explain to him the major changes in moving from V4 to V7.

You import the v4 data set into v7.

You can run both since they are different programs. You don't want the v4 data set open in v4 while importing it into v7.

I would say that the major things than need to be understood are the v7 project/data set organization and the concepts covered in the Data File Storage help topic. The TMG fundamentals are very similar. F10 is now F9. The whole report system differs.

Point him to Terry's website. That'll keep him occupied for a while.

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/