altenbernd

Flags in Error

I've noticed that some of the flags in my database no longer have correct values in them. A possible value is Y,N,? , but a W appears. At first I thought I must have previously selected the wrong flag when doing an update. I do periodically run a List Of People report and then use the secondary output to update the flag. I see how I could have updated the wrong flag, but I don't see I could have gotten an invalid value into it.

I'm in the process of running LOP reports to get the flags back in order, but I'd like to figure out what caused this so it doesn't happen again. I'm also concerned that there might be some other corrupted data issues that I haven't noticed yet. Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas?

I routinely run Optimize and VFI.

Sheila Altenbernd

Sheila,

Have you merged data sets, or copied people from one data set to another? If you do either, and have flags with the same name but different values, the people you bring in will keep those values even though they are not "legal" in the new data set.

And if all of the 'W' values should be one of the other settings, it's easy to correct using the secondary output option of the List of People report. For example, you could change all 'W' values for the flag to 'Y'.

No, I haven't merged any datasets or copied people from other datasets. I use only one project and one dataset. Occassionally I look at a Gedcom in a different dataset, but I haven't done that in a long time either.

Sheila,

Have you merged data sets, or copied people from one data set to another? If you do either, and have flags with the same name but different values, the people you bring in will keep those values even though they are not "legal" in the new data set.

Jim,

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as changing all the W's to Y's. I have 5 or 6 different flags with a lot of bogus values in them. I'm going to have to set them all back to a ? and run a series of LOP reports to try and get them set back correctly again.

And if all of the 'W' values should be one of the other settings, it's easy to correct using the secondary output option of the List of People report. For example, you could change all 'W' values for the flag to 'Y'.