Sign in to follow this  
waldonj

Day of the Week

I really would like the ability to format dates on the screen with a format that includes the day of the week. For example, Monday, 3 May 2010 or Mon, 3 May 2010. It would also be nice to have this option for various reports, but primarily for on-screen display. Often, when entering information from an obituary source, it states "services next Tuesday" or the like, and this requires using a date calculator or perpetual calendar tool to find out what date corresponds to that day of the week in that historic year. If I can enter the death date, say Jan 1, 1953, and the screen displays it as Thu, 1 Jan 1953, I can easily determine and enter the burial date when it says internment on Wednesday without a separate tool.

I agree it would be a wonderful capability, waldonj, for just the reason you cited - frequently having to access a calender, for 1923 for instance, when gleaning info from death and funeral notices and counting off "Friday last" or other designations to get an actual burial or death date. I'll look forward to hearing about a possible solution to this little irritant.

And your wish has been granted (sort of). :)

Are you aware of the TMG sentence variable [DD] (note the second 'D')? This sentence variable will calculate the day of the week if the Date entered is regular, complete and legal. I have some custom sentences that use this variable. I will also often temporarily change the tag sentence to this variable then see what the sentence preview will show to see if the date I have really is a Tuesday. Then I can delete the changed local sentence so that it will revert to the standard global sentence. Not quite as convenient as simply displaying the day, but I find it useful for the rare cases where I care.

Hope this gives you ideas,