jak

Relation Tag

I use the Relation tag to track relationships. As I understand it, this tag is static, so I frequently fresh to update the relationships.

With 110k plus individuals, refreshing the relation tag takes in excess of 15 minutes.

I have a fairly recent PC with dual core CPU and 2 MB RAM.

Questions:

How much RAM will TMG 7.04 use? If I upgrade to 4 MB RAM, will that speed refresh/reindexing? Would you expect the index time to improve significantly? Can TMG use more than 4 MB - say 6 MB?

TMG appears to use only 1 core. Is there any hope that TMG will be able to take advantage of mutiple cores in future?

Finally, if I had one wish for TMG 8, it would certainly be to abandon Foxpro and move into the 21st century. It is inevitable. I hope you do it in the next release. So many advantages would flow from this decision.

Thanks,

JAK

Ooops, of course I meant GB, not MB - off by a mere factor of 1000. I'll also revise the refresh estimate to in excess of 30 minutes, sigh.

JAK

I can not say for certain, but I doubt TMG would be significantly faster if you upgrade to 4GB. unless you routinely have a lot of programs open when you use TMG. In that case, it might help. TMG probably won't use more RAM directly, but Windows will use the extra RAM for keeping files in RAM, and that will reduce the time it takes TMG to access those files.

I use the Relation tag to track relationships. As I understand it, this tag is static, so I frequently fresh to update the relationships.

With 110k plus individuals, refreshing the relation tag takes in excess of 15 minutes.

Questions:

How much RAM will TMG 7.04 use? If I upgrade to 4 MB RAM, will that speed refresh/reindexing? Would you expect the index time to improve significantly? Can TMG use more than 4 MB - say 6 MB?

TMG appears to use only 1 core. Is there any hope that TMG will be able to take advantage of mutiple cores in future?

Finally, if I had one wish for TMG 8, it would certainly be to abandon Foxpro and move into the 21st century. It is inevitable. I hope you do it in the next release. So many advantages would flow from this decision.

Thanks,

JAK

A hint that might help you not have to refresh so often...when you add a new individual add to the person in your data that has a relationship to you. For example, add a child to an aunt who is a blood relative, do not add to the uncle who is not a blood relative. This will correctly set the relationship for the new individual...

Questions:

Thanks,

JAK

JAK,

just for a reference. Same level PC with 4 G.

With 26.000 individuals takes about 45-50 sec.

Peter