Sign in to follow this  
Michael Dietz

Is an external memo text file possible

This is probably not possible but I will still ask.

I use text files to hold information common to several individuals. That way if the data in the text file changes, the change is instantly available to the individuals' records. A good example would be the variety of spellings for a given surname, e.g., Jacob, Jacobs, Jakob, etc. If a new spelling is found it can be entered into the text file and all associated individuals will have the new data. I realize the text file can be attached to an event tag within the Details for the individuals. However that does have one drawback. In order for the person looking at the details to read the text file it is necessary to click on the little camera icon in the event to which the text file is attached.

What would be better tactic is to have the content of the text file be temporarily placed in the memo field of the event. By temporary I mean only while that event is the focus window. The text does not actually exist in the memo field, it is only placed there when the event is viewed and is not stored within the event. That way the person looking at the event would not have to do a secondary click. The data would be presented directly to them.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Mike

Help helps.

Text files can be linked to memos.

%%%%%%%%%%

From the 'Memo' help topic...

Call an External Text File from a Memo Field

In addition to text entered into Memo fields within the program, you can store a memo in an external text file that can be called from the memo field. Such text will be used when a report is generated just as though it had been entered directly into the memo field. To use text from an external file, an exclamation point must be the first character in the memo field, followed by the drive, path and name of the text file.

For example: !C:\MYDATA\ABC.TXT

%%%%%%%%%%

Enter the path as specified into the Tag Entry memo field. The path doesn't need to be upper case.

Once that is saved, you can click the [Memo] button on the Tag Entry screen. The text file contents are previewed and can be edited.

Mike,

Why don't you use a single tag with all the people entered as Witnesses, and put the text directly in the memo? That way it's immediately visible in the person view.

Jim: As my father always said, "If all else fails, read the directions.". Thank you.

Terry: I don't know why I didn't think of your idea. I use it all the time only for group photos, census pages, etc., where the object is an exhibit. I also have a few entries where there is only a couple of people involved, such as not knowing which wife is the mother of a child, having my thoughts about who it is as a comment with memo in the child with the two possible mothers as witnesses to the comment.

Maybe my lapse of memory and laziness is because it is June 1, the weather is great, and I am just vegging out.

Again thanks.

Mike

You're welcome, Mike.

If you would prefer not to have anyone a Principal, you could make a custom Tag Type in the History group - then everyone would be entered as a Witness.