Sign in to follow this  
strathglass

Emigration or Immigration tag

Dumb question, but:

would one normally record BOTH an emigration and immigration record when one knows where someone emigrated from and immigrated to?

If you only used one tag, you can only record the one location (of emigration or immigration).

Thanks in advance!

-strathglass

The answer lies in the the answer to the question... Why are you creating the tag(s)?

Are you trying to record every bit of evidence you find in an easily scanable form? If so, yes.

Are you trying to create a narrative that is easy to read? Then only if you stitch them together seamlessly. Otherwise, it's probably easier to combine both events in a single tag, citing multiple sources if appropriate.

If you have another objective, be guided accordingly.

Hi Strathglass,

To sometimes include both locations in the same tag I have customized both tag types to allow an optional memo part field for the "other" location data. In those cases I use the one tag type for which I have the most documented information. For example, if I know exactly when and where they arrived, but only an approximate emmigration date or location I use Immigration only.

However, if I have complete information I will use both tag types, as this allows two separate dates, and uses two locations from the Master Place List which can be linked to indexes. And if I know quite a bit about the journey I will use an Emigration tag for when they leave, an Anecdote tag for details of the journey, and an Immigraton tag for when they arrive, each with appropriate dates, locations, and memos. Sometimes you really need both, such as when their Emmigration documentation states they intended to go to one place, but then they wound up actually getting to somewhere else.

As Terry says, it depends on what output you want, and it depends upon whether you want to search for either or both locations or tag types.