Sign in to follow this  
janice

Make sample public database by altering names in own

I have the UK and the US Sample Base.and use TMG 7.04 with Win 7. The supplied database while helpful do not go far enough.

What I want to do use a copy of my database as a sample to create charts etc. I belong to

[url="http://www.vicgum.asn.au/"]http://www.vicgum.asn.au/[/url]

which is a volunteer organisation selling software and providing workshops for other software programmes as well as TMG.FTM users have a very strong base and I want to improve TMG's profile. VivGUM has stands at events sometimes. I want to provide charts etc, but do not want to put my personal stuff up there. I want all the generations which includes my grandchildren.

My daughter suggested that if I changed the names I could still use my charts including the one with pictures.

Is that possible to do using TMG Utility? Or is there another way?

Janice Cornwell

Melbourne

Aus.

Why don't you simply use the reports/charts that you have designed with appropriate people in the Sample projects? Copy the reports on the Report Definition Screen to custom names for each Sample project.

My daughter suggested that if I changed the names I could still use my charts including the one with pictures. Is that possible to do using TMG Utility? Or is there another way?

Janice,

You could use the Change Name Parts feature in TMG Utility to change names. You'd have to run the feature many times, once per surname that you wanted to change unless you use wildcards to catch some variations in a single change. If you decide to proceed, I'd suggest that you start by making a subset database. Select a subset that is sufficient to demonstrate the TMG features, but omits a lot of people so you don't have to obfuscate their name and details. Leave living people out just to be safe. You might want to delete some tag types, possibly some sources and citations, etc. If you remove the potentially sensitive data, perhaps you don't have to change the names?

If done correctly, making a sample project from your own data is going to be a lot of work.

I have the UK and the US Sample Base.and use TMG 7.04 with Win 7. The supplied database while helpful do not go far enough.

What I want to do use a copy of my database as a sample to create charts etc.

Janice Cornwell

Thanks John Cardinal and Jim Byram for your replies.

I did think to use the sample database but when I had a look at using the supplied databases, they do not have sufficient generations for my purpose. Also I thought that by using one that similar to my own database it would reflect more closely our Australian and New Zealand experiences.

You have confirmed that I could do it, although a lot of work. Of course it would be as a separate project. I do not mind using my details but it is not only my decision to use my descendents details.