Karen W

Custom Journal Descendants Report option

I am using Gold Edition v 7.04 on Win 7.

My favorite report format is a custom Journal Descendants saved in a Word file type, but it lacks one feature I sorely need: the ability to check an option to carry forward to the next section ALL children, even those that died in infancy, not just those that grew up and reproduced.

My work-around has been to assign these offspring-free individuals a gender-unknown child named "Placeholder". But it is unbelievably tedious to later go through and strip these placeholders out of the body of the Word document as well as from the name index at the back even using a Word find and replace macro. If I create a report and then, after acquiring new info, want to generate it afresh, I have the stripping out to do all over again.

This technique also clutters up my TMG data.

Are there any better ways to get what I want?

Okay. This wasn't the answer I wanted to get.

How do I request that this option be added to a future release? A simple check box in the Miscellaneous tab of the Report Options: "carry all children forward?" yes or no.

Karen,

I have the same problem. One of my grand uncles never married and so his Journal Report is a single line with only his birth date and birth location noted. No census info, no notes, mostly nothing! The worst of it is that there is no practical place to insert his photo. It would be uncommonly odd to shove it into the lists of his siblings whereas all of the siblings photos are with their individual entry. It seems really odd to have to force a "carry all children forward" by creating a make believe child.

Dave P

Dave,

I agree with you that an option to carry childless children to their own generation would be very helpful.

However, you are not limited to only basic events for those children now - you can set the option on the Tags tab of report Options to apply abbreviated events to "Only children that are carried forward." You will then see all events for those that are not.

Terry,

Thanks for responding. I used Karen's work around of creating a phantom child which does what I want it to. However from now I have to remember to delete the generated lines in the output!

Dave P

I would like to add a "wish" that in the next edition of TMG, we are given this option to allow one to create a journal report carrying ALL children forward. I agree with Karen that a simple checkbox in the options would be terrfic! This topic was discussed years ago on the listserve but it never came to be. If someone from WhollyGenes is listening...... please hear our wish!!!!