robinkaspar

need help designing report

I want a report that can identify all women in my database with a Name-Marr tag that has an empty suffix.

I thought this would be fairly easy, but I'm not getting the results I want.

My first attempt using only one filter: Name-Marr, suffix is empty, end

resulted in just about everybody in the file.

Second attempt: sex = F and Name-Marr, suffix is empty, end

results in women who aren't married and don't even have a Name-Marr tag.

So I guess I also have to identify women who are married, but I'm not sure how to do that. Not all of my marriage tags have dates, so I can't filter on that.

Ideas?

Robin in Short Pump

It sounds like you are using the List of People report - you can't do that when you want to work with multiple attributes of a single Tag (in this case the tag type and contents of one field) because the List of People filter applies the each term of the filter independently to every tag each person has. So if one tag matches one filter term and another tag matches a different filter term, the person appears in the report.

I think you need to be using the List of Names report because you want to filter on attributes of each Name Tag.

It sounds like you are using the List of People report - you can't do that when you want to work with multiple attributes of a single Tag (in this case the tag type and contents of one field) because the List of People filter applies the each term of the filter independently to every tag each person has. So if one tag matches one filter term and another tag matches a different filter term, the person appears in the report.

I think you need to be using the List of Names report because you want to filter on attributes of each Name Tag.

Yes, I was using LOP. But the LON report doesn't give me Name-Marr as an option, or any way to filter out men and single women. Is this one of those situations where I have to create a temporary flag and use a report to set it?

Robin

Yes, I was using LOP. But the LON report doesn't give me Name-Marr as an option, or any way to filter out men and single women. Is this one of those situations where I have to create a temporary flag and use a report to set it?

List of Names

filter

Tag Type... Label = Name-Marr AND

Suffix Is Empty END

Are you really concerned about men and unmarried women having Name-Marr tags?

Thanks Jim, but I don't see "Tag Type" or "Label" as a choice. The closest I can get is Any Name Field, but when I tried it with =Name-Marr, I got no results.

Nope, I don't have that. The last few items in my field dropdown list are "Suffix, Surname, Title, Year." We are talking version 6 aren't we? I'm running 6.12.

Robin

Thank you so much, Jim, it looks like that did the trick.

A question about version 7: does it support exporting to Excel? I've been laboring to clean up some citations and the LOC report that I can get in v6 is just a mess because for some tags (like census) the second column is a date, but with other tags (like names and mother/father, etc) the second column is the name. If I could export it to Excel and arrange the columns to my liking, that would be heaven.

Robin

The TMG7 List of Citations has a 'Columnar' option on the General tab so that the report can be output to Excel or to a CSV text file.

Edited by Jim Byram

hahaha I guess my copy of v6.12 is different than everyone else's. My only options with the LOC report are PDF, Rich Text and Word for Windows 8. Searching the help file for Excel, all that comes up is exporting the database. Searching on ".CSV" produces no results.

So I guess it's time to upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Robin