Sign in to follow this  
ketchell

PersonID numbering problem in TMG

I was up to about 17350 in personIDs and suddenly this morning the new individual I added had the number 251839! What happened and is there anyway to go back to the 17400 level? This makes the numbering of individual from now on outrageously long and complicated.

Hoping I missed something simple in help or some other trick to revert back.

I was up to about 17350 in personIDs and suddenly this morning the new individual I added had the number 251839! What happened and is there anyway to go back to the 17400 level? This makes the numbering of individual from now on outrageously long and complicated.

Hoping I missed something simple in help or some other trick to revert back.

Forgot to say that I have already done the maintenance reindex and validate file integrity.

Renumber the person to the next lower number (17351?) and then optimize. See if that corrects the issue when you add the next person.

Tools / Renumber People

File / Maintenance / Optimize

Reindexing and Optimizing did not resolve. I did resolve the problem by manual renumbering. I had about 40 in those high numbers, probably started by a typo when adding someone. I did a search and sorted the individuals by ID number and then manually went in and renumbered them all. Once all the high numbers were renumbered to below the old last used number it resolved itself and now offers the default new person ID as it should. If anyone has any other idea how to do this other than manual renumbering, please document for the someone else with this problem. It is probably rare. It did enforce the point that there are many unused ID numbers in the lower numbers that I can "use up" first to keep the overall ID numbers shorter in the long run.

As you found, TMG always assigns the next ID# after the highest one currently in use. So if you accidentally get a person assigned to a very high number, everyone added after that will be automatically assigned even higher numbers.

There are two solutions: 1) renumber each of the high-number people manually as you did, or 2) renumber everyone in your Data Set. The latter is easier, but if you have "holes" elsewhere in the numbers in use, say caused by merging or deleting people, everyone with higher numbers than those holes will be renumbered too. That may or may not be a problem for you, depending on whether you care about what numbers are assigned to those people for any reason.

As you found, TMG always assigns the next ID# after the highest one currently in use. So if you accidentally get a person assigned to a very high number, everyone added after that will be automatically assigned even higher numbers.

There are two solutions: 1) renumber each of the high-number people manually as you did, or 2) renumber everyone in your Data Set. The later is easier, but if you have "holes" elsewhere in the numbers in use, say caused by merging or deleting people, everyone with higher numbers than those holes will be renumbered too. That may or may not be a problem for you, depending on whether you care about what numbers are assigned to those people for any reason.

One Caveat about renumbering all. If you have specific individuals as subjects of items, such as charts, text files, etc, that are based upon the id number in Second Site, renumbering that individual will break the link to the desired item.

Mike