Roy Sprunger

Exhibit Log 'File Not Found' Error

How do I edit the Exhibit Log exhibit properties to update the filename & path after copying the files to a new path?

Every time I upgrade TMG to another version, I copy all my data files to a new path & update my Preferences. Once the data has been imported/upgraded to the new version, I copy the old data to a backup drive and delete them. However, the Exhibit Log is unable to find the files I recorded in the log, in their new location.

If I have to delete the old records and add a new records, then I'll have to reconsider using exhibits.

Use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity. See the Moving Exhibits or Missing Exhibits help topics.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

Use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity. See the Moving Exhibits or Missing Exhibits help topics.

Thanks, Jim. I've never used it and wouldn't have associated it with file management.

Roy

Well, Jim, there is a problem. And I wonder if it may be related to the file type.

I have four exhibit files. They are all Adobe .PDF files. I read the following Help sections.

Validate File Integrity.

Missing Exhibits.

Moving Exhibits.

List of Folders for Validate File Integrity.

All of them confound me because they assume something that is neither evident, nor obvious. When I choose File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity the program warns me that it may take a while, then runs. It does not present me with a 'List of Folders' window, nor do I see an option for 'Search for missing external exhibits'. And there is not an option to Specify the folders to search.

My version is 7.04.0000. Is there something I am missing?

Meanwhile, when I look at the Exhibit Log, the program is not displaying the frown face even though that is what my Preferences are set too. So, I have decided to simply delete the old placeholders and add new ones, 'cause whatever was supposed to happen is not happenin'.

Roy

There is a shortcoming in v7.04 and you can't locate PDF files (and some other file types such as DOC files) using the VFI feature. We became aware of this when a user with nothing but DOC files linked contacted Support and said that the external exhibit feature of VFI was not available. This would also happen if you had only PDF files. This is fixed in TMG8.

For some reason, in TMG 7.04, only image files and maybe TXT files can have the paths updated using VFI. In TMG8, any file type used for an exhibit can have the path updated using VFI. I have no idea why the original code was written like that. It makes no sense not to have VFI working for all linked exhibits.

So you need to fix out of date links for PDF files the hard way. :mellow:

Roy

You will also discover that VFI doesn't work very well if you have a deep folder structure to store your exhibits in as it doesn't look at sub-folders.

I ended up buying PATHWIZ (which I was very happy with) when I moved from XP to Windows 7 and had to change the paths on all my exhibits.

Edited by nbradley

You will also discover that VFI doesn't work very well if you have a deep folder structure to store your exhibits in as it doesn't look at sub-folders.

The VFI external exhibit feature is not recursive but will check every folder in its list so it will look at 'sub-folders' if you add them to the list.