Evenwhen

Variable 'EFOOT' is not found.

I have been editing a tag to propogate a role from the witness section to the Primary section in order to use the Principal role for it. Every 5-10 edits, I get an error message when I attempt to save the tag. If I Ignore the error, there doesn't appear to be any negative effect. The tag is saved correctly with the changes made. The full text of the error is:

ErrorMarker: Variable 'EFOOT' is not found. 599

FRMDETAILS.CNTEVENTLIST.MPREPAREEVENTS3

Is this a bug, an error in my database or a procedural error on my part? I have already run Optimize and Validate File Integrity with no adverse indications.

Let's try the following...

I'm assuming that you are running TMG v7.04.

Install using the v7.04 installer over the existing installation and use the same installer settings that you used proviously.

The TMG v7.04 installer can be downloaded from here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

This will refresh your installatioin and have no effect on your data.

Jim. I did this three days ago after a system crash and refresh from backups. I had to refresh TMG 7.04 from the WhollyGenes website. As far as I know now, everything is comletly up-t0-date and ceertainly is with TMG. As I baqck up my data daily, there was no problem with the project files.

If Virginia's comment is not clear, right-click in the Event tags area of the Details section of any Person view. See if any of the "Filter for..." options on that menu are checked. If so, uncheck all of them and see if that eliminates the error for subsequent edits. Let us know what you discover.

I am using a vanilla Explorer filter for Death tags with a role of SPOUSE and a flag called COMMON1. This was set up to flag the events I needed to change. Nothing really fance.

I have found out some additional clues. What I am doing is swapping a primary person with role of SPOUSE for a witness person with role DECEASED then changing the primary role to PRINCIPAL. When I click on OK for the tag entry I get the error. No problem when I was changing the witness person and role. I also now know that the error only occurs if I have data in the MEMO field of the DEATH tag. I use MEMO1 to store the cause of death if known so most events have nothing but many have an entry. I repeatedly scanned for events with and without memo fields and this has always held.

One added piece of information. I can edit a tag with the error conditions without swapping the people and roles and there is no error. It only seems to occure when I swap the witness for the primary. It doesn't require swapping the roles as well, only swapping the person numbers.

Just to be clear, you do not have tags filtered for a specific tag on the Right Click menu in the Details area, correct? But you are using a Project Explorer filter for Death tags with a role of SPOUSE (plus your flag), correct? Finally, when you swap the Witness for the Primary am I correct that the current focus person would now not qualify for the Project Explorer filter since it would no longer be their Death tag, only a tag for which they are now a Witness. Is this correct?

Assuming the above is correct, as a work-around, try this. Use your filter for the Project Explorer to identify the people you want. Now open the Focus Group window and be sure there are no people in the group. Next right-click in the filtered Project Explorer and add all people to the Focus Group. Finally turn off the filter for the Project Explorer. Use the Focus Group to work through the people that need corrections. See if this eliminates the error.

I have not used the right click menu but I am filtered for DEATH tage via the "Filter for tags of this type" icon in the command area at the top of the screen. with that provision you are mostly correct. Since the Project Explorer filter is for anyone with the role of SPOUSE and that role still exists (though now a witness instead of primary) they are still in the filter. I have to clear the COMMON1 flags and reset them with a report to reduce the selection list.

Taking your question as a starting point, I located a candidate tag, one with a memo field, and then reset the tag type filter. I then swapped the two ids and got no error. BUT when I set the tag type filter in place again, I got the error. It would seem that the problem lies with the tag type filter area.

Anything else I can try to help isolate the problem?

I haven't used it myself but I believe that a "Filter for tags of this type" icon in the command area at the top of the screen is just a different way to do the same thing as the right click menu. In the Details view does the left-most column have a heading of "Filtered"? If so, and you right-click in the tag area you will see a check-mark on the "Filter for tags of this type" menu item.

Thanks for the offer. I am just a user like yourself but I doubt there is anything else you need try to isolate the error. Unfortunately, you have stumbled upon a weird and rarely encountered bug in Version 7. As you have noted, it only seems to happen when the "filtered for" tag becomes a Witnessed tag and not a tag for that focus person Principal, or when you filter for a tag type where the focus person is only a Witness on that tag type. I checked and that tag filtering bug has been reported previously, and hopefully will be fixed in Version 8. As you have noted, if you "Ignore" it does not affect the successful completion of the edit. It is annoying, but as long as you are filtering and changing the Principal to Witness for that filtered tag it seems you will get this error.

OK, sounds good. Since nothing bad happens with the problem, I will just continue to ignore the error until TMG 8 is out and hope it is fixed at that time. Since most of my people have many tags I really need to filter the tag list. Thanks to all for the help.

You are most welcome. But be sure to Optimize, Validate File Integrity, and Optimize (in that order) periodically just to be sure.

Just a note to others who stumble on this problem. I just found out that if I filter for non-primary events also that I don't get the error message. It would appear that the display of the changed tag is involved in the problem.

Edited by Evenwhen