Tim Hill

Decendency Narrative - birth of a child

I hope someone can help.

I am inthe process of transferring my data from UFT and despite some excellent help from articles there is an issue I'm a bit stuck with.

Under UFT my birth events involved a child and parents. I had text set up so that when a person had a child, they had a sentence appear in their event that wrote narrative saying something like "At age 20 Ralph and Jenny had a child Anne born ..." etc.

Under TMG I'm not sure this is possible. When a child is born to parents a 'Dau-bio' tag shows the relationship but no sentence can be created in the parents narrative. In other words, in the parents narrative the birth of a child goes unremarked.

Since I am importing my records from UFT, is there a way I can do the import (or set up TMG) so that these sentences still exist for the parents? I want this to be the default for all parents.

- Thanks!

Hi Tim,

This has been discussed on the TMG-L e-mail ListServ often. There are many ways to accomplish this easily in TMG. The two most commonly mentioned are: create a custom TMG Tag Type, or custom modify the default TMG Birth Tag Type. Each method has some advantages and disadvantages. The custom Tag Type would have the parents as the Principals and the child as a Witness with appropriate sentences. The custom modification to the default Birth Tag Type would keep the child as the Principal on that tag but now add custom roles and sentences to connect the parents as Witnesses to that child's birth.

I didn't come from UFT, but other users who have migrated to TMG from UFT will likely have more detailed suggestions.

Hi Tim,

This has been discussed on the TMG-L e-mail ListServ often.

Michael,

Thanks for that - I can see (at least part of) the discussion at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/r...9-01/1230832200.

Just looking through this, the arguments seem to come down to;

Method 1. Record the parents as witnesses to the child’s birth

• Would not be able to turn on/off for printing except globally

• Unforeseen consequences (esp. in reports)

• Quicker as tags exist

• No need to create new ‘Childbirth’ (or similar) tag

• Can have other roles in the tag (step parents etc)

Method 2. Create a separate tag for childbirth

• More flexibility esp. with reporting

• Need to create new tag, then assign it to parents and child

• Keeping new tag aligned with birth and relationship tags

• Double-up recording sources

• ‘Cluttering up’ individual detail screens

With either method there is no way to automate this.

Can others comment - does sum up the two methods adequately?

Just to note... You can get a better response from former UFT users on the mail list. There are a number of users on the mail list who have made the transitions that you are trying to work out.